Sunday 6 May 2012

Grab a man before the music stops...

On news.com.au today there's an interesting article where the Catholic Church has warned girls to stop being picky and grab an available man, any available man, at an early age to marry. Or else you'll miss out.

The Catholic Church can generally be relied upon to provide great giggle fodder. Usually I avoid religious topics as it they're dangerous waters (what do they say, no religion or politics at the dinner table?) but I decided I'd like to swim with the sharks today.

So here we go.

Now let's get this out of the way quickly before I get accused of religion-bashing. I'm not especially church-y, however definitely not an atheist either. I believe in something, I just haven't yet defined what it is. I just don't think whoever made us would have given us thoughts, intelligence (debate for another day) and the ability to feel things so intensely if there wasn't some giant purpose to it all. However I have been brought up to question things, analyse and investigate to find truth, so I find it hard to just wholeheartedly believe in something I've been told without having to query it first. I did quite a bit of studies into various different religions at school and it only confused the issue - if this religion is right, does that make the other wrong?

Anyway, let's just say I've been brought up to believe that if you live by the Ten Commandments you can't go too far wrong - don't lie, don't steal, don't kill, don't covet things and don't steal the neighbour's hubby, they're the basic tenets of my life. Can't say I've nailed them but isn't life a work in progress?

To be honest I'm really envious of those who have genuine faith, as they seem so content and fulfilled in their lives and so grateful for all the small things. I have a couple of friends who are believers and I love to talk to them as their eyes shine when they speak of their faith and it's beautiful.

So back to the topic at hand.

Should us ladies give up on finding Mr Right to snatch up Mr Available before the age of 25, just so we don't miss out on marriage?

The article says there is a dearth of available men between the ages of 25 to 34. Basically there's 15 women to every man. Lucky men.

Mind you, 'available' is defined as unmarried, single, heterosexual, earning over $60k a year and NOT a single parent. Interesting criteria, does a man with a child make him not a good catch? Maybe at 24 I would have agreed but at my age I think a daddy who loves his child is actually a pretty big draw.

The article does raise an interesting question, particularly as I'm at my age and still unmarried. In the quest to have it all, are women missing out on marriage? Or is the church placing too much importance on marriage as opposed to happiness and fulfillment? Of course the church needs marriage as that's the only way we can reproduce right? (oops). But what about love?

Should we be latching onto someone who ticks a couple of boxes, rather than holding out for someone special?

Personally I don't hate being single. Mine and E's lives are calm and centred and we get to live how we want. I'm pretty independent and don't like someone in my face all the time, I feel smothered really easily. Of course I'd love to find a man who would enhance our lives, but until that day comes I'm content to live as we are. Better that than being with someone who doesn't make me happy.

Of course I realise that I'm probably the anomaly here. For starters I have a child so my biological clock isn't about to explode in case I miss out on having kids. And I like to spend time alone, which I know many don't. I don't need a man to make me feel complete, I AM complete. So until I can be 'happily married' or partnered or whatever I'm OK with being single.

Personally articles like this really annoy me because they play on our fears that we're going to be old and alone and miss out on the big white wedding we've all been dreaming about and planning since we were little.

So what do you think? Do you think that women are missing out on marriage because we're too picky, is the church too focused on women sucking it up for the purpose of marriage, despite whether or not it makes you happy? Are you afraid that when the music stops you'll be left alone? I'd love to know.

xx




No comments: