Saturday 12 May 2012

Mother's day, packing purgatory and domestic goddesses.

So what does one do on a glorious sunny day where the temperatures are in the mid 20s and there's barely a cloud in the sky?

Well I don't know about you, but I've been in packing hell.  I've got newspaper stained fingers, there's packed and unpacked boxes everywhere and the place looks like it's gone to hell in a handbasket. Oh yeah, almost a sacriligeous way to spend such a beautiful day but I'm trying to think long-term. Once we get to Toowoomba we'll get our lives back and be able to thoroughly enjoy our weekends and (a novel concept here) start leaving the house on occasion. And the more I do today, yada yada... Otherwise my 'tomorrow' attitude will take a death grip and not relinquish it until suddenly it's next Sunday and the movers are only a day away...

So I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished, even if it looks as if I've done nothing more than make an unholy mess.

So perhaps it's more like packing purgatory? Either way, it bites.

E and I went shopping this morning which was a nice mental break from everything we have to do. He bought my mother's day present with some money my dad gave him for me. He picked and bought it in front of me which kinda spoils any kind of surprise element and hasn't wrapped it as 'why bother, you already know what it is'...we need to discuss this gift-giving business a little further. Feeling special.

However at least I know I'm going to like it, which is probably more than I can say for a lot of unsuspecting mums out there. I'll never forget the year I sent him into a store with $5 to buy me something. The first clue that I should have not gotten my hopes up was when he handed me back $4.50 change. To this day I'm not entirely sure what it was, it was some kind of thread or wire wrapped around a piece of cardboard. He was incredibly proud of himself for choosing it so of course I gushed that it was the best present I've ever received. I think the following year I scored a ring made out of old tyres, which left my finger black for a week.

His taste in gifts has improved dramatically since then, although his champagne tastes have not (I have taught the boy well in some regards!).  My pearl bracelet last year was really beautiful and I wear it all the time. In fact it's my lucky charm and I credit my new job to it as I wore it to the interview!

I love Mother's Day. E hasn't mastered much more than vegemite toast for the de rigeur breakfast-in-bed element but he is very sweet and helpful so we may get a lot accomplished in the packing-purgatory space tomorrow.

Was also great to catch up with an old friend who I haven't seen in years - this was my handy friend who came around to check out what's needed to fix my wall(s). Yes, plural. I removed a stick-on hook this morning and took some more paint off. Apparently my walls were pretty dodgily painted without any sort of primer or undercoat so it's not entirely my fault! My mate assures me he can repair it and it will probably be a much bettter job than before. Phew.

So feeling a bit exhausted after such a busy day...

Have you had a chance to read Cathy's new 50s Housewife Friday entry? The most bemusing part about it is that it is actually true. She makes out-of-this-world cake pops and other goodies and parties at her place are an event and a half.

Quote of the day from the domestic goddess herself: 

I am being torn..... didn't even know i had a 50's housewife in me, shes trying to take over.....meddling bitch!

Hope you're having a wonderful day! Make me jealous with some comments about you had a MUCH more enjoyable day than me! It wouldn't be that hard!

xx

No comments: