Monday 21 May 2012

Chaos. Disorder. Yep I'm home.

Hooray for an excellent night's sleep, my first under my doona in a long while and judging by the temperature here, certainly not the last!

I don't think I budged all night and man, could it have been any harder to get out of my warm cocoon this morning?

But chaos reigned so I forced myself into my warm miner socks that I bought last year for a winter visit to Cobar, and a purchase that is already becoming a Toowoomba staple! I then got up and started attacking the boxes like the madwoman so many suspected I already was.

First on the agenda was the toaster and do you think we could find the rotten thing? After ripping open almost every box and half an hour later, there lay the toaster mocking us from an OPEN box right beside the door. Nice one toaster. You're lucky I wanted a muffin otherwise you would have been, well, toast.

Whoever the bright spark who said to wrap everything in newspaper was must have been moving to a place with an industrial kitchen. We've had the dishwasher running full-tilt just to be able to put things in the cupboard.

So accomplishments for the day: TV hooked up and channels programmed - check. Washing machine working and on its first load - check (although keeping an eye on the drainage as its coming perilously close to disaster). Clothes mostly hung up and organised and the essentials like cutlery, plates and the all-important Ninjago box found - check.

We also went exploring to locate such important services like the bowling alley, movie theatre and the crucial Subway. We also stumbled on an awesome little set of shops with a fantastic fruit/veg shop and an awesome butcher. I've been absolutely gagging for some fresh veges and was so excited shopping there that I think my fellow customers assumed I had some kind of problem.

They might be right.

So I got to the checkout and couldn't hold back my intake of breath at the total - the girl at the counter looked at me questioningly and I had to explain the prices were about half of what they charge in Brisbane, and of course the quality so much better.

Now if only I could remember where the damn shops were so I can go back?

I'm anxiously awaiting my first visit from fellow blogger Willow with her kids this afternoon...it has been ages and I just can't wait to greet my new neighbour (well she lives 5 minutes away which in Brisbane speak is just next door).

Can't wait to show her around our little palace - which is doing a damned good impression of a junk house right now but oh, the possibilities! And it has a dishwasher that...wait for it...cleans my dishes! What a novel concept - my old place you had to basically wash them by hand first and then run them through the machine twice.

Maybe my dad is right - clearly I actually do need a life.

So we're making some order of the chaos and have had some fun today. E told me I'm cool and was them rather horrified when I divulged that I fully intended on deliberately embarrassing him in front of his mates at every opportunity when he became a teenager. He doesn't quite get that it's in the job description.

But he will! (insert evil laugh here).

We also raced out and bought a cheap little heater as one night shivering whilst wrapped in blankets in front of the TV was quite enough. We will be getting that delivery of wood sooner rather than later and also factoring in some heavy duty heaters into the budget in the very near future. Otherwise E will be running away from home, at least until he realised it might be cold inside but it's a butt-load colder OUTSIDE (insert another evil laugh here).

Enjoying our first 24 hours in Toowoomba despite impersonating icicles! Hope your day is awesome too!

xx

No comments: