Friday 4 May 2012

Currently.

I wrote a 'currently' post recently and really loved writing it. I got the idea from Danielle Hampton's Sometimes Sweet and thought after everything that has happened, it was great timing to reflect and write another.

Reading: The 19th Element by John L Becker. I've mentioned before the brilliant Amazon Top 100 free titles list that I stumbled onto. I am trying to save money for what is proving to be an expensive move so this list is a complete godsend. I've read quite a few 'freebies' and make it a point to regularly check back for new titles so there's always something in the queue. I'm reading-obsessed and get an awful feeling if I don't have something new on hand to sink my teeth into. And some of these books are great! Because they're free, I download them no matter what genre (except for cookbooks, overtly Christian titles or those aimed at 5 year olds - anything else is fair game). The best part about this is that I get to read things I would never usually pick up or buy. And some of them are fantastic.

The 19th Element is much heavier fare than I would usually choose, centred around an ex-government spy who makes a connection between certain events to detect a nuclear terrorist threat. I'm surprised that I've been riveted by it, it's well written and the storyline is pretty gripping. I'm about 85% of the way through so just at the really exciting part where I can't quite tell how it's going to end.

Thinking about: my immiment move. I've been working on my Toowoomba Project book and have ticked off a couple more items and started a wishlist which contains some realistic items and some not-so-realistic ones! I've come to believe that you have to get out there and create your ideal life and I am going to be embracing a lot of change once I move 'up the mountain'. Thoroughly excited - stay tuned.

Loving: E's and my 'his and hers' haircuts we got this morning. We're on a strict budget and I can no longer afford my expensive hairdresser but luckily have discovered a great girl at a local cheapie place who did our hair this morning. It's no frills but the cuts seem decent and the price is right - so it's a good win. I've had quite a bit of length taken off and it feels weird to run my fingers through. I keep forgetting it's the length I usually wear it - it's just grown so quickly lately. Love that feeling of freshly washed hair, too, it smells delicious.

Eating: I took E out for breakfast this morning at 'our place' at Chermside Shopping Centre. We haven't been there in a while but with only two weeks left in Brisbane I thought it only fitting to give it a 'last meal' as residents of Brisbane. It's lovely to have a place where the girl at the counter sings out 'the usual?' as we walk up (the 'usual' being their heavenly thick toast, hash browns and cappuccino for me, hot chocolate with marshmallows for E). I am taking special note to really take notice of and enjoy these 'lasts' we're experiencing.

Watching: The Vampire Diaries. I'm way too old for this show but Ian Somerhalder, seriously? How could I not? I love that it's like a mini-movie in each episode, there is no 'filler' time and there's at least 2 dramatic 'game-changing' events per episode. I love it.

Anticipating: a visit from my dad and stepmother on Monday. They're in town for a few days and since their move to Tenterfield I don't get to see them nearly as often as I'd like. They run a motel so time off together is really rare. One of the wonderful things about moving to Toowoomba is that I will only be 1.5 hours away from them, makes a visit that much more manageable. I am so close to my dad and the relationship he shares with E, his oldest grandson, is something that almost brings tears to my eyes. My son is my father's 'mini-me', they are so alike in looks and mannerisms that it's quite eerie. And his grandma of course spoils him rotten as only a grandma can. Grandma is famous for her 'jellybean jar', a huge, foot-high glass jar of beans that gets raided constantly throughout visits and huge handfuls taken for the ride home. Sugar overload much?

Enjoying: the most glorious Brisbane autumn day. It's about 25 degrees, hardly a cloud in the sky and so beautiful. After a hectic morning, I've spent the afternoon sitting on my balcony soaking up some vitamin D and reading my kindle. It's cool out but the sun is gorgeous. Once I move to a house I'll have to mow lawns and do things on weekends so taking advantage of this restful time, the lull before the storm, if you will. Fingers crossed this weather continues throughout the long weekend, it is lovely to have 2 more days to look forward to.

So what are you plans this weekend? Hope you're having as lovely day as I am. I would love to read about what you're up to. Meanwhile you can laugh or cry at our before and after hair shots below!

xx

No comments: