Monday 21 May 2012

First, last and always.

To quote Sisters of Mercy 'first, lasts and always'.

So here we are, official Toowoomba residents for the first time, after saying goodbye to our Brisbane abode for the last. The day has been busy, bittersweet and exhausting and I'm so glad to be here, even if I have simply relocated 'box city' for the moment.

The day started off with tears (me), tantrums (me) and cranky outbursts (also me) but I'm happy to say has ended well. The removalists arrive. On time but our landlord was completely AWOL, no lift key, no moving curtains in the lift. Took him about an hour to appear which slowed down the move significantly. Why is it that he seems to be up in our business 24/7 until you actually NEED him?

Anyhow after that the pace started to pick up and we finally departed fair Brisbane about 11am.

The drive was actually a nice respite from all the craziness, a good opportunity to just breathe, and then panic wondering what the house we will now call home looks like. And am I doing the right thing?

What have I done?

Well I considered it a good omen that for the first time ever I managed to take the correct turnoff to Toowoomba, thus avoiding the usual lengthy detour through downtown Ipswich (not recommended). Success!

First stop in Toowoomba was the real estate to pick up the keys for said mystery house, which was perhaps not such a good omen! We were behind a guy who was begging the property manager for a rent extension due to the fact his rent money had been stolen and then burnt so that no-one could spend it?

Looks like I've got stiff competition for tenant of the year.

So keys in hand we set the iPhone maps to our address and we were on our way.

It was a lovely surprise to have dad waiting outside welcoming us to our new home!

So we drove up the driveway to the freestanding garage that looked exactly like the photo, minus the basketball hoop (but with the right holes so we can install our own). We then went to the front door and anxiously tried the keys so we could see our new home!

And the verdict is...

It's AWESOME!

So much bigger than we thought, both bedrooms are absolutely massive, the kitchen is great and we've scored an extra living area that we weren't expecting. Bonus! Sure the bathroom is a little basic and some of the lighting fixtures questionable (we literally have a torch shaped light at the front of the house - wtf?) but it's really big and spacious and more than enough for E and myself. The only thing that's going to cause any grief is that the only toilet is at the very back of the house which is going to make nighttime winter trips an event and a half!

We still haven't gotten the tv hooked up right with only analog channels coming through at the moment, but as long as we can watch The Voice tonight we can work the rest out later!

We've made our beds and E is excitedly unpacking his toys and finding new homes for everything but frankly I've given up for the day. Sooo exhausted and as long as I have a warm bed to sleep in, everything else can wait until...you guessed it, tomorrow!

We've stacked up all the boxes in the bonus room (as frankly I have no furniture to put in there yet anyway). We then went exploring to find our local shopping centre (less than 5 mins away - yeah) and bought a few things to fill the fridge and then grabbed some takeaway on the way home so we're fed and watered and that's good enough.

Fark it's bloody cold already! I think a heater shopping trip will be in order sooner rather than later! Lucky dad gave me a few heavy duty blankets that they don't use anymore as I think they will be used very very quickly!

So tomorrow I've got the smoke alarm dude coming and plan to ring E's new school and that's pretty much it. So excited just to potter around and find homes for everything and hang all my pictures and everything!

Oh I have a mantelpiece! I've never had one before so have all these wonderful decorating ideas already.

So there we are...eventful, exciting and exhausting. So glad the hard bit is behind us and I'm so looking forward to discovering lots of 'firsts' in our new hometown.

Hope your day has been much less eventful but just as exciting as ours!

xx

No comments: