Thursday 17 May 2012

Get a life. Or your dad will get one for you.


So whilst I've been busy packing up our lives in Brisbane, it appears that my father has been working pretty hard himself....on finding me a life.

Last night on the phone my dad uttered six words that I am sure he thought he'd NEVER in his life say...

You need to get out more.

I was more than a social butterfly before my son was born, I'd probably go as far as saying I was a social animal (some might say anti-social animal). There was nary a Friday or Saturday where I wasn't out on the town making a fool of myself, generally always accompanied by copious quantities of fruity alcoholic drinks. And never mind that there was many a Thursday and Sunday night thrown in the mix as well as the weekends...you get the picture.

For many years my father despaired of me ever growing up and actually spending a night at home. Oh the horror!

Life has changed a lot since E was born and I'm quite a homebody now. Unless I get a great invitation to go out, I'm generally far happier just chilling out at home with my boy or hanging with friends at their houses. I rarely drink anymore and quite like the quieter life.

Clearly my dad doesn't think much more of this new lifestyle than he did of the old.

So on this note, he then advises me he's gone ahead and found me a life. WTF?

One of my stepmother's good friends has a son who lives in Toowoomba. I probably have met him once or twice over the last 20 years but to be honest I don't really have any recollection of him. Anyhow, he is apparently involved in a social group that first started as a couple of mates hanging out and now has become a regular event of about 50 or more people who get together at various different venues. Dad is now going to 'set me up' to have a coffee with him so he can explain how it works and then get me involved.

Hmm.

If this guy wasn't living with his partner and his daughter I'd be thinking there is some nefarious plot behind this hook-up however it actually does genuinely sound like dad wants me to get a life.

How embarrassing.

To preface this, my dad is really not the meddling type. He is interested and involved, but usually sits back and waits for me to come to him. So he must think this whole getting-out-more thing is pretty important to go ahead and arrange my life for me.

So I'm not so sure how I should be feeling about my 65 year old dad organising my social life. On one hand, this group sounds really interesting and quite like the sort of people I'd like to hang with. On the other, hello? My dad has to organise my social life?

It sounds pathetic when you say it like that.

So I know I have to shake things up, and as part of my new outlook of not letting fear stand in my way of new experiences, I'll give it a go. It's definitely outside my comfort zone - I've never really been a 'joiner', I'm more likely to do the opposite just because I hate being told what to do. And it's a little hard to stomach that I need my daddy to make friends for me!

So I've clearly got a lot of new experiences to look forward to in Toowoomba, including a ready-made life courtesy of dear old dad!

So I'd love to know - do your parents still go ahead and make life decisions for you? What ways do they still interfere with your life?

xx

No comments: