Thursday 1 November 2012

Friday is my second favourite F word.

So I've been struggling this week. I've been finding it just about impossible to get out of bed, and no matter how much sleep I get, I wake up exhausted and disoriented. Walking around like a doped up zombie may amuse my colleagues but frankly, I'm over it.

My ears also haven't been feeling good - like someone has a blunt pencil and is poking them repeatedly, not exactly a sharp pain but not the most pleasant experience, nonetheless [INSERT FIRST FAVOURITE F WORD HERE]

So off to the doc's yesterday to find out I have fluid pressing against the inside of my ears - oh joy! [INSERT FIRST FAVOURITE F WORD HERE] Better than an ear infection, I guess, but still...

So nasal drops and antibiotics and hopefully I'll start to feel like a human being in a day or two. Otherwise...well they'd shoot a horse for less, so perhaps it's off to the back paddock for me...

Anyway so I've been dragging my sorry butt around during a week of amazing sunshine and back to nearly-summer days. This may well be contributing to my desire to be sitting in a deckchair beside a sparkling expanse of water somewhere instead of at work/home/anywhere except in a deckchair beside a sparkling expanse of water.

Hopefully this weather will continue through the weekend and you better believe I'll be finding a sparkling expanse of water to lounge beside. Bank on it.

So now onto my second favourite F word - FRIDAY!!!!

What better to talk about on Fridays (other than cocktails/deckchairs/sparkling expanses of water) than friendships (my THIRD favourite F word). Well, I wouldn't be me if I let too much time slip between diatribes on friendships, now would I?

So it was pretty timely to see an article published about the six types of friends everyone should have (click here to read the full article).

It pretty much says what I've always said (GENIUS. Excuse me) - that you need to surround yourself with different types of people who provide different types of 'nourishment'. I've always said that you get different things from different people, for example, if I want to wallow, I call Jane. If I'm ready to get over myself and laugh myself sick and get off the phone in a better mood than I ever dreamed possible, I call Cathy.

So essentially the article says there's six types of friends that you need in your life:

  • The friend who's cooler than you
  • The friend who is up for anything
  • The friend who you aspire to be
  • The friend who doesn't know any of your other friends
  • The friend who's painfully honest
  • The friend you've known longer than you've known yourself

Personally I think six is a LOT of friends (haha) but I totally get it. I have friends who cross a few of these categories as well. So here's the breakdown:

The friend who's cooler than you
Um...like ALL of them????

The friend who's up for anything
Cathy. No hesitation. We spent our teenagerhood closing our eyes and jumping off the cliff and I wouldn't have done half of it if she wasn't beside me.

The friend who you aspire to be
How good is it that I have three! There's Jane and Kathy. Honestly two of the most genuinely NICE, generous and giving people who put everyone else first. Always. You really try to hate them for being so NICE but it's impossible. Just beautiful, inside and out. And Larissa, who I aspire to be in a totally different way. Ballsy, driven and has the courage of her convictions, I so wanna be her.

The friend who doesn't know any of your other friends
I've got lots of these, both in Brisbane and Toowoomba and it's great to get a more balanced perspective. Plus you can bitch about your other friends and they won't find out.

The friend who's painfully honest
Oh yeah, love them AND hate them, but you need one of these in your arsenal. Actually I have three. You know who you are.

The friend you've known longer than you've known yourself
How lucky am I that I have known my 'gang' since I was 14/15 years old. And seeing as I've 'known myself' for only about 5 minutes, there's a lot of people included in this group.

Seriously though, it is wonderful to have old long-time friends where you can make a statement about what's happening in your life and they automatically know EXACTLY what impact this event has on you due to past events.

If I'd written this article though, I would have added another category:

The friend who brings out the best in you
See my blog post on Toxic Friends for those who...well, don't.

So do you have your six? Do you have any other categories you'd suggest? I'd love to hear!

Happy Friday :)

xx

No comments: