Monday 31 December 2012

What are the Best Worst Daggy Roadtrip Songs of all time?

Welcome to 2013!!!

I hope you all had a fabulous NYE and are awaking today sans hangover or riding the porcelain bus (I am happy to say I woke up after a luxurious sleep in feeling fantastic).

So I've been thinking, what should my first post of the new year be? Now that we've partied like it's 1999 (remember when that song came out and 1999 might as well have been the year 3000 the way we looked at it?) I thought I should do something to commemorate the new year.

Starting as I mean to go on and all that.

So I was gonna go deep. And then I thought....

Nah.

So instead I'm going to do my countdown of the ten eleven best daggy songs to sing out loud on a road trip.

Why? Well over the past couple of weeks I seem to have been in the car more than out of it, bound for Tenterfield, bound for Brisbane, etc. And as I have already permanently damaged my poor son's psyche by belting out some of the best, sing-along daggy tunes, I thought I'd share. Cos I'm caring like that.

Now I do have to add that not only do I sing these LOUD, I also sing these...well...

Let's just say my singing voice would probably shatter glass and the eardrums of any lesser individual. Let's be frank...dogs howl and cats yowl when I get started. I'm bad. Seriously bad. Which made this particular pickup line I was on the receiving end of in my twenties particularly amusing:

'You look like you're a really great singer'.

And the following comment after drunkenly taking to the karaoke mike (never a good move) to belt out my own personal rendition of 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' by The Clash:

'Well, at least they got up'.

Um...yeah...

Do I care, however?

Not particularly.

So here's my New Year countdown of the 10 11 Best Worst Daggy Songs to Sing Along To on a Road Trip. OK now that's a mouthful...but then again, so's my singing...

Why 11 you may ask? Well I was originally going to compile just 10 but there were 11 just screaming at the gate, not to mention dozens more in hot pursuit. Clearly I need to revisit my music collection...STAT. But then again, if I de-daggified my tunes what would I sing along to in the car? And why do so many of them originate from the 80s? Questions to ponder...

So here we go:

Number 11


That's What Friends Are For by pretty much all the greats from the good old 80s. I don't even butcher this one. Hardly. Keep smiling, keep shining... 

Number 10


Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond. Come on, who can't resist belting out the chorus at top volume (including the 'BOM, BOM, BOM', despite the fact that no-one really knows any of the other words? Blurry memories of smoky pubs abound. Neil is the gift that keeps on giving.

Number 9


Baby Got Back - Sir Mix Alot. Seriously bad song, seriously good singing. Brings all sorts of visuals of Cameron Diaz daggy white girl dancing on Soul Train. Turn it up Sir...


Number 8


U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer. Now why is it that I song I couldn't stand in 1990 suddenly makes me want to (badly) emulate Mr Hammer and his happy pants dance? And let's face it, can anyone hear 'Stop?' without responding 'Hammer Time'????? Although watching the vid makes me exhausted.


Number 7


Oh Yeah - I don't even know who...ahem...sings this one. Considering there aren't even any lyrics, I still get a massive kick out of screaming out the sound effects along with the random 'Beautiful'. Thank you Ferris Bueller. Yes I do feel very sorry for my kid....


Number 6


Candy - Mandy Moore. So poor Mandy actually refunded anyone who bought her first bubblegum pop album because she's so ashamed of it, which makes butchering Candy a particularly guilty pleasure. And how cute is she?...


Number 5


I'm On My Way - The Proclaimers. Sung complete with accent. Enough said.


Number 4


King of Wishful Thinking - Go West. Julia Roberts hooking up a storm. What's not to love?


Number 3

If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher. Well, what can I say? Will any of us ever forget the image of Cher straddling a cannon surrounded by sailors...there are some things you just can't unsee, no matter how much you want to...where's the bleach?


Number 2

Make Me Lose Control - Eric Carmen...I'm not sure what it is about this song that reminds me of hot summer nights and daggy 80s dancing...oh wait. Digging that 'do, Eric. Not really.

Number 1


We Are The World - USA for Africa. None of this new-fangled revival shit, mind you. Who can't help but sing along?

So there you have it. Arguably my top 10 11 but even as I've been 'researching' I've come up with heaps more so there may well be a volume II in the pipeline. God help us all.

So what's your favourite guilty-pleasure tunes to road trip to? Make your own list and let me know so I can laugh along?

Hoping your intro to 2013 has been as much fun as mine!!!

Bec xx

No comments: