Sunday 30 December 2012

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999...or something. Farewell 2012.

It's completely crazy that today is the last day of 2012.

In some ways, it feels like forever since last New Year's Eve, but then on the other hand the year has flown by.

Looking back, I can barely believe where I am today compared to this time last year, and for the first time in a few years I am going to celebrate the end of a hugely successful and wonderful year instead of commiserating and just being thankful that the bloody year has finally ended!

So 2012 really was my year. I didn't win the lottery (yet...see resolutions for 2013 haha) but after a few hellish years it is so wonderful to say that this year provided so many more ups than it did downs.

I guess a huge one is my move to Toowoomba. Who would have ever thunk it that this here precious urban princess would have found her home in small town Toowoomba and settled in like I'd lived here forever? Not a backward glance. Not a single one.

And of course a huge part of that is the fantastic job I scored that I think I was born to do. I've just completely fallen on my feet and I thank god for the day I sat on the bus thinking, 'this is no way to live' and opened my laptop to fall upon the job ad. It's kismet.

Yesterday I also achieved a major milestone - I got to see my sister and her lovely family for the first time in too many years. Sharing a wonderful few hours together and seeing my niece grow from a baby to a gorgeous little girl just made my heart sing. I don't think you've been able to wipe the smile of E's and my face since. I'm looking forward to many more times together in 2013.

E and I, Christmas Day 2012
Christmas was also just wonderful. Santa crept into the living room and left E a sack as big as himself chock full of all sorts of things. And he got the 'book safe' (ie. the safe that looks like a book) that he wanted, which has now become the receptacle for all his 'treasures' (eg. Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Jelly Bellies).
My Christmas Present from E.
He gets his taste from his mum.

We then set off for an uneventful drive to Tenterfield, to unwrap yet more presents with dad and my stepmother. Not to mention 'taste testing' the Moet (for quality control purposes of course. It took me quite a number of glasses to determine it warranted my seal of approval).

Seeing E's face light up was priceless, particularly when the piece de resistance - a laptop computer, was unwrapped from his amazing grandparents. His old computer barely even goes anymore and with him entering high school, an updated version was getting to the necessary stage. He has barely been off it since!

I also really, really wish I'd taken a picture of our Christmas dessert. My stepmother is coeliac and also has to follow a strict FODMAP diet, which can be seriously challenging.  However, her gluten free chocolate cake with berries and lactose free icecream was divine. Sadly, I was too keen to dig in to capture it for posterity.

And of course, almost most importantly, in 2012 I started this blog!!!

It's so wonderful to have this online journal, so to speak, that I can look back on and read over my entries. It almost seems like a different person wrote all the beginning ones where it's clear I was itching for a change. I love the fact that this blog is like a time capsule in that way. Very cool.

All in all, I have so many blessings to count from 2012, and feel like I'm a very lucky girl! Seriously, if you'd seen me this time last year, I deliberately stayed home and went to bed early just because I wanted to wake up and have the year that was be gone.
Taking my job as champagne
Quality Controller seriously

So this is awesome.

So I'm not much of a resolutions type of girl but it seems pretty obligatory to at least have a few so here goes:


  • To have my father not say 'you're not that great a housekeeper'. Scratch that, never gonna happen. Sorry dad.
  • To start writing my blog a lot more regularly again. I think at one stage I became too consumed with my blog that it was invading every waking moment and ruining 'real life'. Like, I'd be out and about and seriously just be seeing the world through 'blog glasses'. Not cool. So I got blog lethargy there for awhile but I resolve to make a comeback in 2013...god help you all.
  • To spend more time with my friends. I've become a bit withdrawn this past year just due to the fact that I had a few periods of sickness (damn you Toowoomba flu) and with the new job and house and everything, it was all just a bit much at times. I draw inwards when I get a bit overwhelmed so now's time to open back up and invite people in! Certainly being on holidays helps although I barely feel like I've sat down and yet I'm halfway through...eep!
  • To stop being a bitch about the Cliffos and VPL. Yeah scratch that one too.
  • Apparently my stepmother said that 2013 has to be the year I find myself a man. Oh. Dear. God. I'll keep you posted.
  • To stop embarrassing my son in public. Yeah. Right.
  • To win millions and buy a day spa where my stepmother and I will be employed as 'Quality Control Consultants'. It's an important job.
  • To not drink my body weight in fine champagne at every given opportunity. Well, what else it is there for?
  • To have an even more fabulous year than 2012 was!!!

So there you are. I resolve to be happy and healthy and wealthy...hahaha!

What are your resolutions? Did 2012 treat you well or will you be partying like it's 1999 tonight (sorry, bad Prince reference there) just became the damn year is finally coming to a close?

I'm happy to say that I'll be celebrating the former!

See you in 2013 y'all!

xx

2 comments:

jon wilson said...

I have visited your blog for the first time and found it a well organized blog. thanks for sharing
day spa Toowoomba

Unknown said...

Thank you! I've been looking for a great day spa since I've moved to Toowoomba and your website looks fantastic (chocolate mudslide? I'm in). Bec