Thursday 15 November 2012

My second favourite F word. And the kindness of strangers.

Hooray! It's my second favourite F word again and I'm so happy to be looking at the onset of the weekend.

It's been an insane week, just so much going on, I feel I've barely had a chance to breathe. There's been some awesome highlights (beautiful salmon lunch at Christmas party venue) and some lowlights which I won't bore you with.

So something happened yesterday. Anyone who has ever lived in a small town with...well...considerate human beings has probably had something similar happen to them. Coming from a city however, this just blew me away.

So we were looking for a hot water urn for work. I had visions of these pretty stainless steel and black contraptions we had at my last workplace so off we went to look.

So total aside here...urns are effing UGLY! I mean seriously!

So when we see enormous urns for the princely sum of between $250 and $350 I nearly choked. Look, I don't have a problem spending that sort of money, but I have an aesthetic issue and simply refuse to spend it on something so fricken HIDEOUS. And we weren't looking for hot water to service the Taj Majal, so they were way too big anyway.

Anyhoo, so we traversed from store to store (culminating in me taking I think about 6 wrong turns and riding the company car up the gutter...ooops!) to find Betta Electrical in Toowoomba.

Once again their display urns were far too big but when asked for other options, they produced a pretty-as-you-can-get-for-an-ugly-urn smaller Russell Hobbs version. Issue was there was a tiny dent in one side so they had put in an insurance claim for it. We asked how much they'd charge for it and they said $50.

So we were pretty happy with that right? Considering the RRP was about $150 it was a total bargain.

But then the dude looked at the shirt my colleague was wearing and realised which company we worked for. Of course our immediate response was 'oh crap, has the price just gone up to $100?' but he simply pushed the box into our hands and told us that our money was no good here and just to mention them to our purchasing guys.

Uh what?

Walking out of the store we were alternately joking that we felt like we were stealing and then commenting that we should have found a dented laptop as well...

So I'm pretty blown away by this. Seriously has never happened before! Oh I've scored discounts and great deals and something thrown in for free with another purchase, but a gesture of goodwill to simply give us something was pretty bloody amazing.

Look I know they were getting their money back for it on insurance but as we would have been happy to pay for it that's not really the point.

I think I like the small-town life. Or small-city, or whatever the hell this is!

So another reason to be happy for my second favourite F word...

This weekend I get to visit my Brisbane gals and best of all, spend some quality time sinking icy cold Diet Coke on the Housewife's balcony. Hoping some red velvet cake pops are on the baking agenda today....hint hint.

Have a lovely F day all!!!

xx

1 comment:

Betty Detox said...

Got something better than red velvet cake pops on the agenda. Just u wait and see.....or read today's 50's Housewife Friday update where I'll tell u all about it x