Tuesday 29 May 2012

Tuesday. Brick walls. Good times and sledgehammers.

What a day! You don't realise how draining it can be to just soak up craploads of information and then try to make sense of it all and then figure out how you fit into all of it. I don't have a physical job but my brain feel like its gonna explode with the information overload!

I was pretty lucky today to spend time with one of my bosses who very kindly took the time to explain a lot about the business which really helped me fit a lot of the puzzle pieces together. It was a really productive time as this morning we felt like we were running into brick walls at every turn. You know what it's like when you're new, your access to systems sometimes isn't quite right and you need approval for this or that...but the person who needs to approve it is AWOL...that kind of thing. I know we've definitely made strides but there's still a few hurdles to overcome. At least the most important one is sorted...you guessed it, payroll haha. Always a priority!

I've realised I'm not so good at being the new girl. I've been so used to being the one everyone relies on for answers that it is really weird to not know how to do the simplest of things, and makes you ask the most ridiculous questions (example: how do we answer the phones here?) and leaves you feeling a tad stupid. I've been apologizing to everyone using the old standby 'I just started yesterday and know nothing!' which seems to work for now but won't hold water for very long.

Another great day for E, he is just LOVING this whole walking to school business, he is at school in 5 minutes, is actually racing home to do homework! Mostly so he can then play outside and also his school gives them detention for any homework not handed in, but still! Result! We've been doing the homework dance for so many years now and most parents will understand how completely frustrating it is, unless you're the mother of THAT girl, you know the one at the front of the class that cries if she gets 49 out of 50. In which case either shut up or go away. Please.

There's only a few weeks left of term so E is anxiously awaiting the report card that will dictate how much cashola he's scored to spend on Ninjago. Refer to my previous post of bribing your kids...oh yeah I'm guilty.

But this has been the best year so far with regard to E's attitude and school marks so I have no shame. Whatever works! (don't judge me haha).

He's made a couple of friends already and seems so happy which really makes me believe we were so right in coming here. Everything seems to be falling into place.

It's amazing talking to some of my work people at lunch how many have relocated from big cities for the lifestyle that Toowoomba offers. It so reminds me of the Brisbane where I grew up as a teenager. Kids can walk down the street and play in yards and have the freedom which is so lacking these days down the mountain. Right now I can honestly say I have no regrets and once I wrap my head around my new job, it will be brilliant.

Oh and once I get a delivery of firewood. Nights are getting progressively more brutal and these little heaters are working overtime but not quite cutting the mustard.

Tomorrow I'm being taken out for lunch by some of the girls so that is something to look forward to! Hopefully we can also iron out some
Of our technical issues and take a sledgehammer to a few brick walls. Subtle.

Still no Internet! This is starting to get ridiculous. I'm giving Optus until tomorrow before I start to cry and explore my prepaid options. The one rather large and ugly fly in the Toowoomba ointment. Give me my lifeline, dammit!

It's not too much to ask, is it?

xx

No comments: