Saturday 19 May 2012

2 more sleeps!

Two more sleeps until the removalists come on Monday morning...then we'll be sleeping in our new, unseen Toowoomba abode! Time's speeding up now that we're on the countdown to bigger and better...although technically it's smaller, but you know what I mean.

Strangely I'm feeling much less angsty today, I think the stress of anticipating finishing work was overwhelming me, and now that I've ticked that off The Toowoomba Project list, I am now feeling much less panicky about the whole thing.

Today has been pretty industrious, we've knocked over a fair portion of the packing. Momentary panic when we ran out of boxes - who'd have thunk it?  But after an emergency run to the box shop (yes there is such a thing) and then scoring a backseat-load from a mate, we're cooking with gas. In fact we now have way too many, but at least I won't have to freak out when all the shops are shut tomorrow and I'm box-less.

So what I'd really like to know is how can I have accumulated so much stuff in such a small apartment? Seriously, we've got boxes stacked to the heavens here which seriously if you spread end-to-end I really have to question how we fit it all in? And although I still have to make a run or two to the skip downstairs, I'm really not throwing that much away. One of the great mysteries of the universe.

We still have a cupboard or six to empty but on the whole, doing very well. The washing machine will be commissioned for quite some time tomorrow to make sure all our sheets/towels etc are all clean before the move, because who knows when I'll be bothered again to throw on a load?

The problem with everything left to pack is that it is all the 'miscellaneous' crap. You know, you want to keep it but it's not easily sortable or able to be categorised in a box easily. You know, you can put all your cups and plates in one box and label them 'Kitchen cups and plates' but it's much harder to label a box 'miscellaneous crap'. Well it isn't really but I know I'll pack something and then be needing to find it and won't be able to.  

We all know how this will end - I'll just upend the drawers into a box and work it out later. I may as well just get on with it.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. My mate came around to finish fixing our walls where we took some paint off (huge thanks to him for that) and this afternoon I went for coffee and homemade scones and apple turnovers with some great friends of mine. Fabulous company and unimaginably good food, what a great way to finish the day! It's been so lovely having them just a suburb or two over so I will miss them terribly but they've promised me they'll be regular guests and I know they enjoy their 'road trips' so I'll be holding them to it! This is the same couple who I have written about before in Strange Addictions - you can always tell when she is angling for a new Kitchenaid attachment (ahem food dehydrator) due to her apparent dissatisfaction with the fact that they don't have a flat screen TV. Classic misdirection - she asks for a TV, they settle for a Kitchenaid attachment, which frankly is much less expensive. He then buys matchbox cars and the cycle begins again. She's also currently pimping him out on Facebook but that's an entirely different story.

Great friends are really hard to come by so I hold mine close and wonder sometimes why I'm moving away from them. But because they're such great friends, I know distance won't change anything and in fact will likely make us try harder to ensure that it doesn't.

Shout out to Cathy who in typical Cathy fashion came out of her surgery yesterday to still make quote of the day:

Hey guys, thanks for all ur concern. Am waking up slightly and on lots of good drugs, must be good cause the nurse said I've been muttering about John Lennon and Jesus!!! Wtf???

So I'm determined to knock over some more packing before bed tonight so that we can just enjoy our last day in Brisbane tomorrow. So far the weather has been amazing, so I'm trying to decide what to do with our free time. Any suggestions?

I'm also so gonna need a pedicure when this is all over.

xx

Classic E and I - hard to believe he was ever so little!

No comments: