Monday 28 May 2012

Official 'first'. Done.

So today was my proper first day at work and now I'm at the back end I'm feeling much calmer and more prepared that yes, I can actually do this!

To be fair it probably wasn't a 'proper' day seeing as my boss is away for most of the week and I spent much of my day just meeting people, exploring the systems and processes and getting some more training from my buddy.

Speaking of my buddy, I was introduced to Wendy this morning and for about ten minutes was just thinking she looked awfully familiar...then it hit me, I used to know her in Brisbane and she worked in my building for years! Coincidentally she also moved to Toowoomba from, you guessed it, Chermside, and took on what is now my job!

Ok that's just weird!

She's got a gorgeous little girl now and is trying to be a stay-at-home mum but the siren call is luring her back in and she's been kind enough to take on the gargantuan task of training this little black duck, as my role has been vacant for some time. And thank god for that.

And like an excellent assistant does, she immediately googled me and stumbled on my blog! So if you're reading this Wendy, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for giving up time with your daughter to help me out. I would have been lost today without you!

Everyone to date just seems so nice and friendly and helpful...although that may be just because I'm assisting the big boss and they think they kinda have to be...ha.

I got home eager to here how E's first day at school went, as I left the poor little fella knocking his knees in the school office this morning. To my huge relief he LOVES it. Made a couple of friends already (although in typical boy style didn't ask any of their names). Teacher is good, didn't turn into a frozen Popsicle so I'm counting it as a win. Homework even seems manageable so we are a happy family tonight!

I was so nervous for him! He's been at the same school since year 1 so hasn't experienced being the 'new kid'. Personally I had great experience being the new kid, with three primary schools and two high schools under my belt. I think it also helped that I'm the 'new kid' at work so we can discuss how it feels and positive strategies to make it work for us. So far so good.

On the downside...still no Internet. Boo.

This time last week we were just moved in and completely unaware of what life was going to bring. What amazing changes can happen in a single week, huh? New home, new school, new job and total change of lifestyle. I tell you something it's so much easier to deal with the cold when you run to your car and drive for 5 minutes as opposed to hiking it to the bus and then sitting on said bus for 40 mins or so!

One funny thing I'm going to have to get used to is that I used to work on a secured floor where if you went to the bathroom you had to take your security pass with you or else you couldn't get back in. Every time I had to go today I automatically reached for my purse and started scrabbling for my pass before remembering that my pass is no more...guess a 7 year habit will be hard to break! And I'm sure my cubicle mate was wondering what the hell I was doing...

So now E and I will decide which of our three pre-cooked meals to heat up for dinner and then curl up in front of the heater for the obligatory Monday night The Voice viewing. I know I have previously said that we'd picked our top 2 but after last week's round there were at least three other standout performances by people I'd never even noticed before, and unfortunately Lakyn put on a less than stellar performance so now I'm undecided. Pretty sure Karyss will be unbeatable overall though.

Hope everyone is having as fantastic a day as me today! I'll leave you with E in his new school uniform which elicited the response 'I feel weird'.

xx


No comments: