Sunday 15 July 2012

Weekend wrap-up. And laundromat etiquette.

It was so nice to see the sun today after a few days of wind, fog and rain. The day dawned bright and clear, if not bloody freezing, but we enjoyed a lovely sleep-in under the warm doona so didn't really notice the 3 degree start to the day.

I've still not pulled my finger out to get the washing machine fixed so today we were back off to the laundromat and decided to change venues this time! The one I've been going to has a broken change machine that NEVER seems to be getting fixed and begging change from the local shops gets OLD real fast. So over to another location where...miracle of miracles...you put notes in the machine and coins come out!

What an exciting start to the day!

This laundromat was much bigger than the other but also much busier. A woman in a bathrobe decided to make me her new best friend within seconds of entering, so I got my free laundromat entertainment, in lieu of the sign asking to check dryers for children.

This laundromat was located in a little block of shops so we passed the waiting time wandering around a bit in an effort to stem the tide of friendly yet overly familiar and somewhat unnerving conversation from bathrobe-lady.

Clearly I was in the presence of several laundromat veterans and I passed the etiquette test by waiting my turn without comment for washers and then dryers. One lovely lady even condensed her haul into one dryer just to free it up for me.

However, this leads me to an etiquette question:

A woman walked in with about three weeks worth of laundry and proceeded to fill both of the commercial washers plus at least two of the 'regular' ones and then walked out. Many of the veterans present rolled their eyes and muttered things under their breath.

Anyhoo at about 7 minutes of drying time to go, we ducked to the bakery and butcher next door to grab a few things, only to return just in time to see this self same woman with MY dryer door open, just about to pull my clothes onto the FLOOR so she could use it! Now I honestly thought we'd only been gone about 5 minutes, so surely the dryer had only JUST finished. One of the veterans smiled at me and said very loudly that someone was about to empty my clothes so she could use the dryer. The woman quickly stopped (before clothes hit floor, thankfully) and had the temerity to instead of look slightly shamefaced, to actually GLARE at me.

So my question is, how much time do you give a dryer to remain full yet stopped before you go ahead and touch someone else's clothes? I'm sorry but I'd probably sit there for at least 15 minutes or so waiting for the person in question to return and collect their stuff before I'd even THINK of touching it.

Is it just me, or is that just rude?

So there's my rant/laundromat tale of the day.

On a completely different and much more positive note, I was talking to Willow after her party and she said that her mum had asked who the 'tall, blond boy in the black jeans' was as she was so completely impressed with his behaviour and how he kept looking after Willow's E throughout the day and making sure the smaller kids were being taken care of. How wonderful to realise that this was my very own E who was the standout among a 30 strong crowd of kids!

Proud mummy moment.

Hope your weekend was wonderful, minus laundromat escapades!

xx

No comments: