Wednesday 25 July 2012

Herding cats. It's what I do.

So a few years ago during some work thing that I've long forgotten, we were treated to an award-winning ad to do with herding cats (see below, you have to watch it, fantastic!).

It made me realise that the ultimate 'cat herder' position is probably that of an assistant. As someone who's spent the majority of my career being such a person, I've often laughingly referred to my role of one as 'Herding Cats'.

Miracles performed daily. At a minimum.

Ever tried to 'herd' a bunch of busy people into a meeting to begin in a timely fashion? Together with presentations, reports, dealing with IT issues, catering and the inevitable last minute dramas? Or tried to 'persuade' someone to do something they've been putting off (meanwhile you're fielding the abusive calls for their delaying tactics)? Organising an event for 300 people is a cinch compared to managing the presence of someone at a meeting where they can easily roll into the carpark at 8am but not be seen since until hours later. Then when you finally wrangle the third person into the meeting, you find number two has done a runner...

The story of my life.

So this morning I was at work 'bright' (hahaha) and early at 6am to start the cat wrangling process (ie. miracles performed daily). With the 'first' miracle done and dusted by 7:00am I was pretty much ready for a nap, although I substituted it for a bucket of caffeine instead and focused on miracle # 2...

I think the part I love most about my job is the cat herding to be honest. I realise you probably have to be a specific kind of person to be able to manage the dozens of things (all at the same time!) without completely losing your mind, however I think sanity went the way of the dinosaurs some time ago so I can project a calm and comforting presence whilst panicking completely on the inside.

One boss commented that he admired the way I could do two things at once. My response? Only two? That's a quiet day!

I must admit I love it. An assistant has to be a jack of all trades, part secretary, part IT guru, part mother and part nagging wife. Always a problem solver and always looking for ways to make the boss' life easier.

I have often said that I'd quite like my own assistant, but the thought of handing over my life to someone else to manage is really quite daunting. I guess you need to also add 'control freak' to the above list of eccentricities qualities as I really don't know if I'd be able to do it.

Anyway watch the ad and tell me about your life as a cat herder? I'd love to hear!

xx


No comments: