Monday 30 July 2012

I heart me the wrap dress.


My love affair with the wrap dress began many years ago when, believe it or not, I was watching What Not To Wear.

They had a woman featured with pretty much exactly my body shape and enormous boobs and recommended for her the humble wrap dress.

Boobs on show without looking too slutty? Check.

Waist defined, without too many lumps and bumps? Check.

Skimming over the parts you really want it to, and emphasising those you don't? Check.

No ironing? Well hell yeah...Check.

A fashion marvel, the wrap dress flatters almost every shape and I quickly went on the hunt for one to call my very own.

Fast forward years later and my wonderful wrap dress bore with me through weight gain, weight loss, terrible washing treatments and many occasions until sadly it almost has literally fallen to bits. I've resewn buttons and fashioned a quick fix where the side tie doesn't quite tie any more.

Then it started to gape at the front, transforming it from work appropriate to just...well, not really appropriate for much more than your average Ho party.

So last week I was shopping for work related purposes (really!) when I got completely sidetracked by the most gorgeous red Jane Lamerton wrap dress. Wow. Love, love, love. And with a shopping voucher burning a hole in my purse, it had my name written all over it.

Happy days!

So with this wardrobe staple once again front and centre of my closet, I was a happy girl.

Then on Saturday when shopping with W, I told her of my sad shopping habit of continually buying stuff that looks almost identical to other stuff I already own. Her task was to push me outside my comfort zone and make sure I didn't repeat my usual habits.

Well, with an armload of wonderful (and different styles of) dresses, I happily tried them all on and excitedly bought two.

What's that you say? Which do did I buy?????

Ahem....

Yes, WRAP DRESSES. Two. So a sum total of three last week.

OK so they're different colours and different patterns but on closer inspection it turns out that two of them are COMPLETELY IDENTICAL in every other way.

Ooops.

I guess if you're onto a good thing and all that, but really?

Oh well, I will have to embrace the fact that in addition to being earmuff girl (which is a thing, you know) I will also be heretofore known as wrap dress girl.

It could be worse. It could be double denim.

xx

No comments: