Friday 6 July 2012

Helpful children. And I thought it was an oxymoron.

So it's time for the apology for being such a slackass this week.

With the flu hitting me...to put it crudely...like a sack of shit both last week AND this week, together with a well-timed cold snap and my son being away, let's just say I've been less than motivated than to do much more than cuddle up in front of the TV and the heater this week. Getting to the kitchen to eat has been as big of a stretch as it has gotten.

And when I finally thought I was beginning to feel better...yesterday a vomiting bug came upon me unexpectedly and very un-welcome-ly (?) 

Nice.

Anyhoo going to work every day probably hasn't helped matters and hopefully my bout of 'presenteeism' will not infect the entire office but at least I feel that I've been somewhat productive, even with the brain, limbs and everything else only on about half strength.

A nice big shout-out to Codral Cold & Flu tablets for allowing me to 'soldier on' this week. Without them I fear I would have been comatose. I should become your new spokesperson, or you should at least give me something as I fear the withdrawals after many solid days OD'ing on your magic tablets will be brutal.

So my boy comes home tomorrow! Excitement!

I don't know if it's because we live in a bigger place now or whether it's because in Toowoomba everyone seems to do the early up, early home thing, or whether it's simply because I now am home in minutes (instead of staggering in shattered after about a 1 hour commute) but I've MISSED E so unbelievably badly this week. It's an awful, awful thing to say but as a single mum who rarely gets a break, I usually thoroughly enjoy the few times a year he spends time with his grandparents but this has been much tougher going than usual.

It doesn't help when I am getting daily phone calls from my dad telling me how ridiculously useful E is being around the motel (he got 'paid' for his work last time so it's a no-brainer why he's turned into Mr Helpful, but still!) and how wonderful he's been with his cousins (minus the lecture he gave his aunt for the bullying tendencies of one of his cousins...hahaha). Dad's been struggling a bit in the -7 mornings and says that he doesn't know how he would have done without E this week. It's awesome that at such an early age he already seems to have the Rumble work ethic firmly embedded (although totally in the name of a paycheque...I ain't fooling myself as to his motivations).  

It's made me want to cuddle him until he tells me to quit it and tell him over and over how crazy proud I am, my heart is full to bursting. Saying it on the phone just doesn't cut it somehow.

So I am sooooo looking forward to seeing my little guy tomorrow. He's going to hate me after I get done smothering him in hugs and kisses, which I fear will take some time. I almost bought him a crazy expensive present 'just because' this afternoon but restrained myself just in time when I remembered that a) his birthday is in a few weeks and b) like he doesn't have enough to play with?

So happy for the weekend and it was awesome to come home and read the inimitable Cathy's latest instalment of her 50s Housewife series. Cathy has been cracking me up for more than 20 years and it's awesome to see her cult following developing. If you're not hooked yet, then just wait until you taste those cake pops...I guarantee they're as amazing as they look.

xx


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Cult are following me??? Hey, Ian Astbury! I'll be home at 11 :)

Cathy :)X

Unknown said...

I would be jealous if Ian hadn't aged so badly...