Tuesday 10 July 2012

Fog. Flat tyres. And useful hubbies (not mine).

Today I truly experienced for the first time what it was really like to live in a mountain town.

I woke up this morning and got ready for work and as always braced myself for the inevitable shock of cold air as I opened the back door...to find a truly spectacular fog so thick I could barely see my garage less than a few metres away.

I've experienced fog before of course, but this was of the variety that was like walking through soup, you could see it, feel it, taste it in the air all around. It was like a blanket of snow in the air!

The difference between Toowoomba fog and the kind I've experienced before is also that it lasts ALL DAY. In fact, I think it even got more pronounced as the day went on, so at 5:30pm it was pitch black and completely white, which sounds weird unless you're in it yourself!

In Brisbane I'd trek into the city and occasionally turn off Creek Street onto Eagle Street to find the whole road enveloped in fog. It was magical to go up to my floor and feel like I was completely part of the clouds. Sadly the fog always seemed to lift by about 8am.

Not here!

Anyhoo, apart from the fog...what a day! I ran a few errands at lunchtime and was heading back when...CRUNCH goes my wheel, and HISS goes the air from the tyre. Fortunately this occurred right beside a service station so I pulled in and checked out the situation. Some nice dude raced out of the servo and started helping me get the spare out and here I was thinking how cool everyone up here was when he asked me:

So when does the mechanic get here?

Um....

He then said he didn't know how to change a tyre and neither did anyone who worked there...

Um...

Meanwhile I've got 15 minutes to get back to work for a meeting so I left the car and jumped in a cab, racing against the clock to make it back to the office just in time.

In a completely awesome stroke of luck I rang my fellow blogger Willow who just happened to be just up the road collecting her (extremely useful) hubby from work. So it was easy for them to swing by, pick me up and then go back to the car whilst (extremely useful) T did his man-thing out in the wind/fog/drizzle whilst W and I gossiped in the nice warm car.

Thank god this was all about 2 blocks from my house because driving home in pitch black fog was SCARY!

Turns out whatever I hit did an excellent job of COMPLETELY separating the rim from the tyre. Well I am a perfectionist.

So a massive, massive shout out to T and of course W for letting me borrow her useful hubby. Why get one of my own when I can outsource???

And on a completely side note - check out my bedroom wall art courtesy of # 1 son E. Love!

xx





No comments: