Friday 27 July 2012

Cathy's rant of the day: when life comes full circle.


You'll have noticed by now that my weekly updates here focus a lot on my children, especially my teen. Its not that my 8 yr old is any less fascinating to me than my 15yr old but my little Xavier is still a "little boy." He still thinks that I know all the answers to all the questions and still needs me to make his lunch and help him with his shoes. My role as Mummy to my "bubby" is clear and he isn't raising as many personal dilemmas as my eldest.

In the last 12 months, Seven has grown about a foot taller, shooting past me about Christmas time and has been using my head as an arm rest as often as he can, laughing and laughing about how hilarious it is that I'm so short....


He has gone from being a music fan and sitting in front of music videos and record players ,watching, and listening, awkwardly plucking on one of the many guitars hes inherited over the years, to having skills and confidence and his own gang of friends to make his own music with and become a band with, while his Dads and I smile quietly from the sidelines as we happily support his choices.


Today as we watched them all walk down our street, dressed in double denim, leathers, wearing mirrored sunglasses and carrying guitars to the park for a band photoshoot, it was like watching the Outsiders without the threat of Socs, and Dan and I looked at each other.......

He has grown up...

WHEN THE HELL DID THIS ALL HAPPEN???!!! WHILE I WASN'T LOOKING?? i TURN MY BACK FOR ONE SECOND AND HE'S ALLOWED TO GROW UP??? AND WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN ABOUT ME??? THAT I'M OLD NOW???


I'M STILL IN A BAND!!!OK!? JUST BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T PLAYED IN 8 YRS DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE NOT NO.1 AROUND HERE!!



I'M THE ONE THAT WEARS DENIM AND LEATHER AND SKULLS! JUST BECAUSE LATELY I'M SEEN MAINLY WEARING MY LEOPARD PRINT DRESSING GOWN AND HOT PINK FLUFFY SLIPPERS DOESN'T MEAN I'M OLD YOU KNOW!!????

SO I PREFER BAKING TO DRINKING NOW, SO WHAT!!??


SO MY FRIDAY NIGHTS MAINLY CONSIST OF HOT COCOA AND A MOVIE ON CABLE!!
SO WHAT!!??
i'M STILL COOL!!
AND YOUNG!!
AND HIP!!

I guess the question is, can u still be all those things when you have a bunch of young, cool, hip teenagers around to make it blatantly obvious that maybe its time to pass the baton??

Yes, yes you can. Your teens band needs a stylist and someone to apply black nail polish with a steady hand. You can still be useful and youthful...like a youth consultant.....


I can teach them about the classic rock of my olden day era like Guns n Roses, Nirvana, Soundgarden and tell them tales about when Festivals only cost $30 to get in and Madonna was cool.

God bless photo albums ay? Or as they are now known in this house : proof that mum and Dad were once cool.



Cathy xx






Cathy wears many hats. Wife, mother of two sons, CEO of Little Monsters Pty Ltd and Cake Pop Queen just to name a few. She subscribes to the theory that Cathiness is next to Godliness. And on Fridays she behaves like a 50s housewife by sedating herself and cooking, baking and ironing, and being nice to her husband. Any other day is a crapshoot.




No comments: