Monday 18 June 2012

Suburban dramas. Hot tradies. Beautiful homesteads.

So last night we turned on the shower only to find the merest trickle coming through. After a few weeks of a decent pressure it was hell on wheels to try to wash hair with the help of a bucket and what was akin to a tiny little drip.

Most un-fun shower ever.

I posted on Facebook last night to see if anyone could shed light on the issue and also who to call about things like this? I checked out the internet but there were no problems reported, but friends advised that it was likely a water main somewhere and to sit tight and it would be fine by morning.

Except it wasn't.

The paltry trickle of last night morphed into basically a dripping tap this morning.

Second most un-fun shower ever. In fact it may have been a tie seeing as it was about 5 degrees when I woke up.

So I called the real estate first thing who asked me to go home and check that someone wasn't playing silly buggers and had turned off my water tap! WTF? And to call the council and report it if not. So I dutifully reported it to the council and made the mercy dash home, only to feel completely stupid when after a thorough search of my property I was completely unable to find the tap!?

I did notice quite a puddle to the left side of the house, which is an area we never go down, ever. The driveway is on the right and the left area is a bare garden bed and a pebbled path so I've had no reason to even walk around there before. Huh, I guess you learn something new every day. But clearly not where the tap is.

But apart from being loudly barked at by the dogs next door, it was a non-event.

About an hour later the council rang and told me a water pipe had burst inside my property, but as it was inside they couldn't do anything about it...

Back to the real estate...

Anyhoo, long and boring story short, basically the plumber can't understand how we've had any water AT ALL for weeks as the pipes have literally disintegrated and all need to be replaced. He's doing a temporary fix as I type and will be back to complete the job tomorrow. Meanwhile, he's had to pretty much dig up my front yard entirely so our street-view is incredibly attractive right now.

On a completely unrelated note, how cute is my plumber! Woohoo!!!!

Upside (apart from hot tradie) is that we have water!

Now I realise my washing machine may actually work after all and it was likely just the lack of water that gave it the equivalent of a dummy spit. Fingers crossed!

So apart from plumbing hijinks, I had an awesome time today exploring a potential party venue with my colleague. It's called Gabbinbar Homestead and is the most beautiful, idyllic place. Dated back to 1893, it's this amazing property full of lush gardens, a historic homestead, tennis court, croquet lawn and the odd little wooden cottage or two dotted around the place. Sadly for us, the woman who was supposed to show us around clearly doesn't know how to use Outlook and stood us up. After a quick phone call with her, we wandered around to our heart's content checking it all out and I'm in LOVE! I must, must, must plan a party there.

It's enough to make me want to find a husband just so I can get married there, although this seems a little drastic.

The logistics are enough to make our security guy weep but it is so unbelievably gorgeous that I need to make it work...somehow.

Hope everyone's having a much less eventful day than mine! In what can only be construed as Murphy's Law, the hot plumber just knocked on the door and I had to answer it in my trackies. Damn you Murphy.

xx



No comments: