Monday 4 June 2012

Shoe fail. Monday madness and coffee exploits.

So my first 'proper' day at my job with my boss present = done and dusted. I'm pleased to report that despite not getting everything accomplished that I would've liked, I would count it as a success! A great productive morning followed by a lovely lunch at Metro Cafe, where I can now categorically state their lunches are just as good as their breakfasts, and an afternoon
Spent catching up on action items from this morning! I've been warned that occasionally my job can be likened to herding cats and I glimpsed this today although all in all I'm pretty damn pleased with how it's all going.

And the best part is, tomorrow is Internet day! Hurrah! I'm so excited that my unintentional 2 week Internet moratorium is coming to a close. I know I'm being optimistic in saying they WILL fix the problem tomorrow but Toowoomba is a large regional town, not outer Mongolia, so I'm hoping for the best.

Surely????

So today's lesson is not to wear cotton ballet flats when touring our work site to inspect for maintenance issues. Whilst I can suffer the indignities of high vis vests (which SO clashed with my outfit) as this is preferable to being run over by some form of heavy machinery, the shoe situation was definitely an unfortunate choice. Work site = 1, Bec's shoes = 0.

Fail.

I have also gotten an insight into my boss and the good news is he seems to be a little bit like me (any workmates reading this: try to suppress your shudders). So far I'm trying the approach of 'persuasion' the way I would like to be 'persuaded' and to some extent it's worked really well. Now if only I can work out a way to miraculously cram another 10 hours in each day, it'll be gold.

I have also learned that 'ducking out for coffee' is NOT the 5 minute process it used to be and it really doesn't taste that good when you finally fight through the hordes of in sufficiently caffeinated Toowoomba-ites to return to the office just in time to see the coffee van turn up. That visits daily. Information that could've been used yesterday.

Fail.

Two life lessons in one day...who'd have thunk it?

So now just to chill and gear up for mandatory Monday night The Voice viewing. Delta and Seal's teams are halved tonight and whilst Delta clearly had two that are much better than the others I can pretty much predict that outcome. Seal on the other hand has a team of budding superstars and to say goodbye to any will be pretty heartbreaking as I think all but one have the chance of winning the whole thing.

Also can't wait to see Joel's team perform with him, Seal and Delta's team performances were the highlight of last week and I expect much the same tonight.

In 3 weeks it will be all over and this poses the question of wtf do I do then? I always feel a little sense of loss when a show finishes, suddenly there's a gaping hole in my de rigeur television viewing schedule and I don't quite know what to do with myself. Yes I could, I don't know, sort out my office or something...but we know it's not gonna happen.

So glad my first day is down and I'm still smiling! Happy days!

xx

No comments: