Thursday 28 June 2012

Presentee-ism is the new sickness.

It's Thursday and I'm fading fast. I've been battling flu-like symptoms for a few days now and it seems the germs are winning. I've got virtually no voice, swollen glands, sore throat and the most blocked ears imaginable. So not fun.

I really hate getting sick and once again have the issue of being new girl and feeling compelled to go to work. I went this morning but the lurgie got the better of me, particularly after a chat with a colleague who started to tell me about a news story that was on last night about 'presentee-ism' where sick people come to work and then make everyone else sick. He made me feel so guilty for being there, I packed up my bat and ball and came home to work from here.

When you're getting in trouble for GOING to work, you know you must look lousy.

But on the plus side, I think I got asked out by one of my workmates, so clearly I didn't look THAT bad.

Fortunately we've got such a great setup where we can access everything at home, although I do miss my dual screens when I'm home. I thought about getting another screen for home use but then I wouldn't be able to sit in bed with my laptop, which kinda defeats the purpose.

I'm on the hunt for a bluetooth keyboard for my Ipad now as I've had this fantastic app recommended to me where I can record and take minutes at the same time. I take minutes of a LOT of meetings so anything that will aid me in expediting the process is a godsend. The app is good to go but I realised that I can't possibly work on the Ipad keyboard for any length of time with any chance of being efficient. So this weekend I'll be shopping for a microwave (refer previous electrical issues) AND a bluetooth keyboard. Fun times.

So I've been doing my research on this hot yoga thing and I'm equal parts terrified and excited. There are so many conflicting reports on whether it is safe, good for you or even worthwhile. At least I am going in prepared (ie. no big meals, at least 2 litres of water two hours prior, and lots of mineral replenishment afterwards). I realise though that I do not own a single pair of shorts, which I read are pretty necessary when working out in an overheated room for an hour. So they'll be on the shopping list too. Ugh. I hate shorts!

I still think the hot yoga is worth a try, at the least I might sweat out some of these yucky germs that are making me feel like crap. I just hope I don't embarrass myself by passing out!

Well I'm sitting here in front of the heater as my body temperature is all over the charts. It is cool today but not THAT cold yet I'm shivering like it's -2. Not good. Hopefully I'll have a miraculous recovery tonight so I can start to focus on doing my job properly instead of just keeping my eyes open! Plus it's free chocolate Friday tomorrow and I cannot possibly miss that.

xx

No comments: