Saturday 23 June 2012

Domestic dramas. Toowoomba-ism. And Laundromats.

Toowoomba has been incredible for us in so many respects, and I'm truly loving my new and improved job/home/life!

However it appears that this town has not been kind to my heretoforth urban-dwelling appliances. In fact 'Toowoomba-ism' has now struck the trifecta, with E and I having experienced water, power and appliance issues within a 6 week period. The most recent on the Toowoomba-ism hitlist: washing machine (nooooo!!!) and microwave. It's taking them down one by one. Stealthy little bugger.

I was excited to think that perhaps the washing machine issues I experienced last weekend were simply a side effect of the water pipe situation, so positively threw my washing in the other day anticipating that all would be magically fixed.

It wasn't to be. It does fill with water, it does give a halfhearted spin every 10 seconds or so, and it does semi-drain the water out. But after every 10 seconds it beeps incessantly and the spin cycle is pretty much shot to hell. Squeegee-ing your clothes to get the water out gets old...real fast.

As for the microwave, all the lights are on but no-one's home, it gives every illusion of operating perfectly except it just...doesn't. Dumb blonde.

I'm not even going to start counting the number of light bulbs I've had to replace in just a few short weeks. Let's not go there.

You never really notice how much you need your microwave until you don't have one. I didn't think we really used it that much as I don't much like cooking in a microwave, but for all those little odd things, it's a godsend. I guess I've gotten a pretty decent life out of it as it's probably at least 8 years old by now, but still! Next week's shopping list will definitely have a new appliance at the top, but until then it's back to old-school defrosting on the sink (not so easy during this cold weather where it takes a day or two to completely defrost!).

And until I can get my washing machine fixed, it's onto Plan B.

What else but the dreaded Laundromat?

Now I think we've all experienced a horror story or two about the delights of the Laundromat so I was reasonably and pleasantly surprised to lug in my huge load of sheets, towels and clothing to find someone leaving but the place otherwise empty and certainly cleaner than any other Laundromat I've had the misfortune pleasure to set foot in. Not that it's hard. Having said that, there was a pang of disappointment as generally you can always count on the Laudromat to give you an amusing anecdote or two to blog about.

I can't say it was the worst afternoon we've had, E and I snuggled up on some reasonably comfy seats and had a quiet time reading books and just chilling out and talking about the Hunger Games, which E finished yesterday! He said it was the best book he's ever read, and it's pretty cool that a book can reach an audience that crosses genders and age groups. He's now onto Catching Fire and I'll be interested to get his thoughts on it. He knew what he was in for with The Hunger Games, having seen the movie already, but I personally enjoyed Catching Fire more and will be keen to see whether E does too.

Anyway the washing cycle finished and onto the dryer...where I read the instructions on the front of the dryer.


  1. Check inside machine for children, pets and foreign objects before loading and starting.
What?

Because you just might not notice a kid in the dryer?

Well because I'm a rules girl (hahaha) I studiously inspected said dryer to be sure it was sans kid, dog or I don't know, $50,000, and did not begin spinning until I was confident it was empty.

Has the dryer company been sued because someone accidentally spun dry their cat?

So I guess I didn't walk away without my bizarre Laudromat anecdote. 

All is right with the world.

Enjoy your Sunday!

xx





No comments: