Friday 1 June 2012

More Toowoomba firsts. And choc fudge pancakes.

Up bright and early to find the bright sunny weather we've enjoyed replaced with drizzly rain and fog. Now this is more like what I thought Toowoomba would be like!

So what's a girl and her son with empty cupboards to do but go find something to fill them?

First though was to try to discover 'our' new brekky place and by god, I think we found it. Upon a recommendation from some workmates, we made our way to Metro Cafe. A quick race through the cold and drizzle to walk into a lovely warm cafe with quite simply the friendliest and best service I've received in quite some time. The waitress diverted our attention to the specials board, where they proudly announced today's treat as vanilla pancakes with choc fudge sauce, icecream and berry coulis.

Well they had E at 'choc fudge'. Minus the coulis thank you very much.

I chose the bacon egg and cheese baguette which came with an onion jam which was amazing.

E's face upon seeing his brekky was priceless and he manfully attacked the enormous chocolate concoction with gusto. He gave it his best shot but the pancakes proved even too much for this little hollow legged garbage disposal. I'd say pancakes 1, E 0, but his enjoyment was so complete that I'd have to call it a draw.

Oh we'll be back.

Then onto the grocery shopping where in my endeavor to stock up with a fortnight's worth of groceries I singlehandedly spent enough to stimulate a small country's economy. Eek!

If not for getting lost trying to find our car (who has car parks on either side of a building with matching colour codes, I ask you???) it would have been a snap. By the time we found our car we were pretty over it and trudged home foregoing the planned search for the ultimate fruit and veg place. We will live.

With the cupboards and fridge now sufficiently stocked for a zombie invasion, we're good to go.

And ready for a nap.

What boxes to be unpacked? Scarlett O'Hara really is my hero and tomorrow really is another day. Besides, if the weather continues in this cold, wet trajectory I'll be more than content not sticking my head outside tomorrow.

So here's to a nice relaxing afternoon huddled under a doona in front of the heater catching up on my reading.

And no, I have not and WILL not succumb to a blanket with arms. It's just wrong. But ask me again in a month.

xx



No comments: