Tuesday 17 April 2012

Writing

There are some days I sit down and write and although I type more than 90 words per minute, it's like the words are coming faster than the fingers can transcribe. The perfect terminology and turn of phrase just trip off the tongue.

And then there's other days where the ideas swirling around my brain are all just too convoluted to make any sense at all. Or my tiny little mind is just too tired to process them into any kind of rational order.

The last few days have been a bit like that, I've had brain drain. Friends would be gobsmacked as I'm NEVER lost for words.

I used to write resumes for a living and I would even frighten myself with the creative bullshit cold, hard facts that would come pouring out without any hesitation. Yes I was a professional bullshitter. Some might say I never stopped.

I've always had extreme artist envy, always feeling that I too was an artist, just sadly one devoid of, well any artistic talent whatsoever. Let's just say I should really never, EVER quit the day job.

I have collected a lot of arty friends instead, some who are extremely successful and part of the reason I think we're friends is because I hope some of their talent will rub off, by osmosis.

Not creepy at all.

And this experiment to date has been a complete failure, unless you count my talent for making cute candle holders by sticking lace to jars. Most don't.

So it didn't really occur to me for a long time that writing is a pretty valid form of self expression too.

I've always written a lot, whether letters, emails, letters to the editor...most of these missives have actually never been sent or read by anyone other than me.

If you've pissed me off today, you might find yourself the recipient of an emotional/heartfelt/scathing (insert word here) letter, only you'll never know it or read it.

I find it really therapeutic to write my feelings AS IF they're to the other person, getting them out is like lifting off a burden. I may or may not read them back a few days later, but mostly it's unnecessary as once I've gotten my feelings out I either put it all into perspective or else just let it go. Usually these missives just get deleted off the laptop, or in extreme cases ceremonially burnt. Ok that made me sound weird.

Anyway, I wasn't really sure what I was going to write when I sat down this morning and I'm not sure I really have a point here. Something to do with artistically bankrupt...creative expression...yada yada...

Ok yes, here we are. Writing about artist envy, 11 year old boys and Taylor Swift makes me kind of an artist, doesn't it? Pop culture obsession is a valid form of creative expression, surely?

Have a great Wednesday!

xx

*no artists were injured in the making of this post.

No comments: