Thursday 12 April 2012

I love Friday the 13th!

I know my luck must be ass-backwards when my birthdays usually end in tears (despite falling on my 'lucky' number 7) but 'unlucky' days such as Halloween and Friday the 13th end up being fabulous.

Look I'm as superstitious as the next person, in fact maybe more. I don't mind admitting that not only will I never walk under a ladder, I will also avoid walking under scaffolding too as it's KIND of a ladder, yeah? In fact, since the building next door to my work has been under construction for the past 2 years, I have jaywalked across the road rather than count the scaffolding to ensure I'm 'undoing' any bad juju of an odd number of scaffolding 'ladders'.

I don't think I'm alone here as last year they installed a proper crossing so I no longer need to play chicken with the crazy CBD traffic. Bless.

And I don't just hate black cats, I dislike all cats in general (except maybe the weird-ass hairless sphinx cats, which freak me out and intrigue me in equal proportions).

So the day has begun with the usual maiming of the alarm clock, a hurried getting-ready routine, which is par for the course, kiss for my gorgeous boy (aside: are they ever any cuter than when they're fast asleep and all warm and cuddly?), grab the coffee and race to the bus.

Now this week we've been experiencing unseasonably cool weather for April, max temps of 24 or 25 degrees, so the mornings have been enjoyably fresh. I love the cool weather, where you can haul ass for the bus when running late (read: always) and arrive without being all sweaty with the hair you just devoted most of your precious 'getting-ready' time styling all stuck to your neck and frizzed with humidity. Before its so cold that even with your scarf/gloves/coat combo (yes, in Brisbane, I know, I know, I feel the cold OK?) that you're still shivering down to your bones. Anyway, this week has been a delight for me, sunny, bright and cool but definitely not usual April behaviour.

I thoroughly enjoyed my walk to the bus this morning. When I'm too embarrassed to tell you the first song on my Ipod, you KNOW it's bad, but suffice it to say that it was as cheesy as I could hope it to be and AWESOME. So picture me doing a strange sort of walk/skip/dance down the road, grinning like a fool and trying not to sing out loud. Not successfully. Oh well.

So then I'm sitting at the bus stop sipping my coffee and waiting for the caffeine to kick in when out of nowhere a guy jumps off my bus and says to the driver "you've got a gorgeous girl getting on, you lucky bastard".

As I was the only person of either gender waiting for the bus (OK I looked), I can only conclude he meant me. And as the guy in question appeared clean, sober and apparently in reasonable mental health I was flattered. Never mind that the driver told me this dude has been on a fishing boat for a month and just got back, and therefore reason might dictate that I may have been the first girl he'd laid eyes on in a while...

I'll take it.

Happy Friday the 13th all, hope you enjoy it as much as me! But I will still be avoiding scaffolding at all costs.

xx

No comments: