Tuesday 24 April 2012

ANZAC day and sushi rolls

So I've slept most of the public holiday already and feel guilty that I missed any kind of dawn service for ANZAC Day, televised or otherwise. By the time I finally lifted my head and begged for coffee the sun was well and truly in the sky.

ANZAC Day is one of the few public holidays where pretty much absolutely everything is closed as a sign of respect. And that's as it should be.

However it does leave you with limited choices for the day's plans. For once I actually thought ahead on this and decided to roll out (no pun intended) an old favourite that we haven't done in years - homemade sushi. I'm doing this whilst watching a Gallipoli service on TV and whilst it may seem a strange choice to be making sushi, a dish representative of a country that was against the Allies during World War II, to me it is a lovely reminder of how far we've come where an old 'foe' are now embraced as friends, united now in peace. And that's what it's all about. Our history has led us to where we are today and if the bloodiest battle in history at Gallipoli can unite previous enemies Turkey and Australia, our soldiers sacrifices were not in vain.

Back onto the sushi:

E and I are both obsessed with the tuna ships at our local sushi place. There's something about the taste and texture that I've never been able to replicate at home and eventually I just gave up trying. We used to make sushi quite a bit but I guess being in such close proximity to our favourite sushi place and the time it takes to make and assemble a decent looking roll has led us to abandoning the project and simply running over to pick some up instead.

With that option out of the window, I decided today was Operation Tuna Salad.

And I've damned near nailed it!

So enjoy your ANZAC Day however you choose to remember it. Lest we forget.

xx


No comments: