Saturday 21 April 2012

The happiness challenge. Day 2

So I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face, so I'm assuming that means day 2 is a complete success! Here's how I'm going with my happiness challenge:

Gratitudes:
  • Today has been a picture perfect Brisbane day, warm, sunny and gorgeous. Walking over to Chermside to do the grocery shopping earlier I made sure to really look around and appreciate my surroundings. Sometimes it's really easy to walk the same route and not really SEE things. I won't be living here much longer so I really want to soak it all in the preserve it in my memory. Thank you Mr Weatherman, I am really grateful.
  • Huge gratitude to my amazing E who is turning into a resilient, mature and simply incredible young man. He really is the best team-mate I've ever had and despite a few difficult years, or perhaps because of, he is really stepping up before my eyes. We had a long chat last night about some events that will affect both of us and his excitement, willingness to adapt and genuine happiness is just infectious.
  • This actually took place last night but as the phone call lasted until after midnight, I'm going to call it. Thank you to my incredible friend Cathy who as always has been there for me to share in my excitement over good fortune as well as to be a shoulder for the less fortunate moments. I went to sleep with a smile that couldn't be wiped off. I am really grateful to have your support and friendship.
Journal:
So this morning E lay in bed with me for our usual weekend cuddles and we measured our feet against each other. My boy's feet are now the same size as mine! I don't have a little foot either at around an 8-9. It made me reflect on just how tiny his feet were when he was born, and how far we've come along our lives together in the past nearly-12-years. I do get a nostalgic tear when I remember this teeny little koala who used to love curling up on my chest, through to the toddler and little boy who was the perfect 'little spoon' in our cuddle routine. And all these years later, our routine is still firmly in place on Saturdays and Sundays, despite the fact that he's now as tall as my chin and not the most comfortable little spoon anymore! I treasure this routine we've had since he was born, as I realise that the expiry date on our morning cuddles is probably fast approaching as he nears his adolescent years.

Exercise:
Several hours of housework. Due to the muscle soreness I feel already, I'm counting it.

Random act of kindness:
Not sure if this qualifies but today I reached out (ugh, I hate that term but can't think of any other way to put it) to an old friend where there have been a lot of hurts, disappointments, anger and negativity surrounding the relationship. I felt I needed to do it to just let go of any negative baggage and to let them know that I am releasing it all and wishing them well. I would like to think the message I sent was kind and positive, so I hope it counts!

How are you going with your own happiness challenge? I don't want to sound too navel-gazey but letting go of the negative and focusing on the positive really couldn't hurt in life, could it? If nothing else if I can learn to let things go more easily and not let negativity seep into my psyche, then that will indeed make me 'happy'!

xx

Blue Skies in Brisbane! Just perfect!

No comments: