Monday 23 April 2012

The happiness challenge. Day 4

The days are flying by and the happiness challenge is getting well under way. Looking on the bright side of life may give me instant flashbacks to Monty Python and the Life of Brian but I actually woke up this morning relatively non-grumpy which is pretty awesome for a Monday.

So day 4 and here we go:

Gratitudes:
  • Woke up this morning to the first misty morning of the year. It was dreamy and magical, and like walking through a cloud. Wonderful way to start the week. Plus hearing from some good friends who were just as happy as me at some news I was recently given. A true sign of friendship I think is those that are not just there for you in hard times (although obviously that's important!) but with a complete lack of jealousy and a need to share your good times with genuine excitement.
  • A big shout out to yellow scarf girl who graced us with her presence for the first time EVER sans scarf. I barely recognised her. So grateful not to stare at the back of her head itching to whip the scarf off and throw it out the window. The usual suspects from the 370 are really grateful.
  • And lastly, I don't know if this really counts but I am grateful for it, so surely that's enough? Pinterest. There's beautiful pictures, artwork, inspirational quotes, great ideas for the home and garden and then of course things like this. People on my bus thought I was a lunatic but I just pretend it's part of my mystique :) Check them out, they gave me a giggle.

     







Journal:
There wasn't one specific event today that made me happy, I just woke up in a good mood and it went from there. From walking through the mist to work, to the day flying by lightning-fast, to walking into a beautiful clean apartment at the end of it, the day was just tinged around the edges with rosy and positive vibes. The stresses of the past few months have just seemed to have disappeared and it sounds naff but in making positive changes it is seeming to rub off on everything. I am about to embark on some huge changes in my life but really think perhaps I've been standing still for such a long time and it's overdue. Excitement! I love to have things to look forward to, but I am learning through this exercise that it's also important not to wish our lives away anticipating the future.

Exercise:
OK, this is the hard one for a lazy case like me but I'm determined to get out the Yoga app on my ipad soon after I write this. You can amuse yourself with thoughts of me twisted up like a pretzel and likely falling over whilst trying to balance on one leg.

Meditation:
Once again I lay down and immediately dropped off. I'm either absolutely fantastic at meditation or a complete noob. I've never been terribly effective in clearing my mind, it seems to race double time at the first indication of me trying to stop it, but as generally I stay awake for hours at night over-thinking things, perhaps I'm doing something right?

So I must admit I am kinda liking this challenge. It will be interesting to see how I go when coping with more difficult times as the last few days have been incident free. And it's the hard times that really count, I think!

Dopamine much? I might be addicted.

xx

No comments: