Saturday 21 April 2012

The happiness challenge. Day 3

So since I've had my head stuck in an oven (refer previous post) and am currently wearing more grime than I think I had in my whole place (what's with that?), I haven't put my head outside the door today. This makes the whole gratitude/random act of kindness thing a little more challenging. And cleaning makes for a really boring post. But I'll give it a shot!

I tried to meditate in bed last night and it either didn't work or worked all too well as I only remember briefly thinking about clearing my mind before it was lights out for me. Successful?

Gratitudes:
  • My place is looking just about awesome. I'm almost done except for a few minor bits and pieces and I feel really grateful to...well...me about it. Yay for me. As an aside, I collected enough hair today to make another human being, should I be worried?
  • I am really grateful to have lived in such a lovely place that when it is clean, it looks amazing. I lived for many years in a place that looked old and crappy and when you cleaned it, it looked old, crappy and clean. Guess you can't put lipstick on a pig. So it is lovely to see the results of your hard labour so visibly.
  • And lastly I am beyond grateful to my family. We are a dysfunctional mob in anyone's language but the guidance, love and support I get from them just makes life so much easier to bear. A particular shout-out to my dad who always seems to know the right thing to say or do and didn't even laugh at me when I told him about the happiness challenge.
Journal:
I won't harp on too much because cleaning is almost as tedious to write about as it is to do. But E's attitude and help today has been amazing. He helped me polish mirrors, clean shelves and even managed to stay off the wet floors, which must be a first. He didn't even moan THAT loudly after I asked him to do yet another bin run (mind you, I don't think walking down the hall and throwing a bag down a chute is the big deal he seems to think it is). And he even went over to the shops for the ever-critical and sanity saving Diet Coke run for his mum without trying to bribe me for a bag of chips in return. I know every mum thinks their kid is the best, but E is turning out to be the coolest, most easygoing and intelligent kid I could ever hope to have. Thank God. And he just made me a Mii on his Nintendo 3DS that has a moustache? Is he trying to tell me something?

Exercise:
If anyone dares to tell me that mopping my extraordinarily dirty balcony is not exercise, then be prepared to run...fast. Although I'm likely too tired to chase you.

Random act of kindness:
One of the girls at my work got married yesterday and I just saw some pics. Wow, she looked so beautiful, just glowing. Her dress, her hair and her beautiful little baby girl!!! It was really easy to be kind and say how incredible she looked, because she quite simply did. Congratulations Shonel!

So thank you for putting up with my endless cleaning posts - I can absolutely promise that the subject is now closed...at least until the next rental inspection.

xx


After

Before

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we come for dinner? It looks amazing!!!
P

Unknown said...

No cooking in this kitchen tonight! We're not allowed to touch ANYTHING!