Tuesday 24 April 2012

The happiness challenge. Day 5

Day 5 and I've hit the wall a little. I'll admit to being a bit tired, grumpy and snappy today and the little things got on my nerves but I've been trying to work through it and suck it up. It helped that I was seriously busy at work so the day at least went pretty quick.

I think this happiness lark isn't as simple as you think it's going to be. It's so easy when you're not feeling your best to revert back to your usual knee-jerk responses and I found myself thinking like a narky bitch on more than one occasion. People who sit on the aisle seat on the bus with the window seat empty? Bastards! Spending 10 minutes straightening my hair only to look at myself in the mirrored lift to find it looked like my head hadn't seen a brush in about a year? Asshat. Waiting for the next elevator because there were too many in the previous one, being the only one waiting but somehow by the time the damn thing arrives you can't get into it for all the people either? Fucktards.

But I did swallow it so to the outside world, I don't think I managed to piss anyone off today. If I did, then sorry about that.

Gratitudes:
  • Tomorrow is a public holiday, how can I not be grateful for that? Couldn't be better timed and I'm looking forward to the mini-break.
  • Getting deep here but I'm so grateful for the ANZAC legacy so prevalent in this country. E's school had a special ceremony with the kids today and this resulted in a nice long talk about the reasons why commemorating this day is equally important today as it was 60 years ago. Our brave soldiers are still out there protecting and serving our country and it is people like them who enable us to live the way we do, with freedom and personal choice. It takes a very special human being to deliberately place themselves in the line of fire for others and my heart is with them and all of their families.
  • Lastly I'm grateful for the together time that E and I have been having watching The Voice. It is so lovely to curl up in bed or on the couch together and play 'judges'. My son idolises Joel Madden and quite frankly I am falling more in love with him by the day myself!
Journal:
I have struggled a bit today but am thankful that even when feeling crappy I've been able to dig in and still find some positives. I wrote about my bus ride earlier and how I need to remind myself to be present. I really enjoyed my bus ride once I got over the odd sensation of simply sitting and being, and doing nothing. To do it every day is unthinkable, but I've promised myself to do this at least once a week going forward.

Random act of kindness:
This is probably a cop-out but in my introverted and selfish state today all I pretty much did was smiled at the bus driver and said thank you at the shops and to people who did stuff for me at work. Lame. I feel like I need to make up for it with something spectacular tomorrow.

xx

Love, your narky bitch who promises to be more positive tomorrow.

No comments: