Saturday 28 April 2012

The happiness challenge. Day 9

Once again it's the wonderful weekend and there's so much to be happy about, not the least that it is a non-work day and I could enjoy a sleep-in. It's been pouring with rain pretty much all day and bloody cold for this time of year. So it was the perfect excuse (like I need one) to hibernate inside and get as little accomplished as humanly possible. As this is something I excel at, you can be sure barely anything was done except for catching up on TV shows and asking E to run any and all errands so I could stay in my PJs.

So day 8 is going well! Here's the challenge:

Gratitudes:
  • If you haven't yet read Cathy's rant on the generation gap, make sure you do. Reading this transported me straight back to grade 12 and the crazy things we did. And colour us all shocked when the teacher actually gave Cathy free rein with that play, let's just say that teachers trust and Cathy didn't exactly go hand in hand back in the day. I am so grateful to her for making me remember the good old days but also her views on 'different' styles of parenting. I for one wish that I had had the courage to just be myself at a much earlier age, and I thoroughly encourage my son to dance to the beat of his own drum and discover just who he wants to be rather than being forced to conform. Although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if our children 'rebel' by being the straightest and narrowest adults just to spite us!
  • Secondly I am grateful to have such wonderful feedback on the Toowoomba project, as I have now dubbed it, as 'tree change' seems like a mid-life crisis thing that I'm FAR too young to be having. Whilst everyone needs to stand on their own feet in life, knowing you have that soft cushion of support is the most incredible feeling.
  • I have just spent a couple of hours pissing about on my home laptop that hasn't been used much in the last few years due to my excessive use of my work one instead. I've debugged and defragged and de-cluttered and whatever else it is that you do in a futile effort to get your antiquated piece of technology to go faster. Then I started to re-organise my music files which has given me a great laugh. I have to thank the influence of my parents, my childhood, some really grungy clubs and some avid music fan friends for my.....um...eclectic collection. With everything from the Beatles to KISS to Sisters of Mercy to The Cure bad 80s to grunge to Call Me Maybe (I tried so hard to hate this song but it's just impossibly cute and upbeat), everything is represented. I either have schizophrenic taste or just like what I damn well please, haha. I pride myself on having some of the WORST and most annoying one-hit-wonders on there because some days its just what you need to lift your mood. And it really annoys your friends when you post it on Facebook and it sticks in their head all day (Against All Odds, anyone?). So I'm grateful to my music collection today. You provide the soundtrack of my life.

Journal:
So I've spent the laziest day today doing the vegetable impersonation that was so rudely snatched from me last weekend during the manic cleaning spree. The wonderful part is the place is still clean and tidy so it feels good to relax guilt free instead of KNOWING you should be doing something but not being arsed.

I'm starting my list of things I need to do before I leave, and it's a little daunting. But I've ticked off the most important - get job (check), resign (check), give notice at my current place (check). Not missing anything vital there...oh wait...

Somewhere to live when we get there? Oops!

I've had a look on realestate.com.au and there's nothing there to get me really excited but I've seen a few come and go so I might hold out for another week before I start to panic and realise if I don't pull my finger out we'll be homeless...

My dad's bringing some boxes for me in the next week or two so then the packing rampage will begin. I'm a veteran packer and don't have that much stuff so it shouldn't take long, its just that having somewhere to send them might be useful? Do ya think?

Looking forward to a BBQ with some friends tomorrow that are about to take off on a fabulous holiday and I will be owning Toowoomba by the time they return. Apparently in a pink jacket. But that's probably a post all on its own.

Random act of kindness:
Haven't left the apartment today so I guess all I can think of is letting E run over to the shops for cheese and bacon rolls for his breakfast. Surely that's being a kind mum?

Meditation:
I stayed up past midnight last night doing little more than mucking about on the computer, watching TV and bits of reading here and there. By the time my head hit the pillow, I was lights out in about 5 seconds or less. I'll get the hang of this thing one day...

Hope you're having a wonderful Saturday too!

xx

No comments: