Sunday 29 April 2012

The happiness challenge. Day 10

Day 10 and the good vibes keep on coming. Of course it's the weekend so is relatively easy to find the upside on everything!

Happiness challenge is full-steam ahead...today at least!

Gratitudes:
  • I'm so grateful we got to see some friends today before our big move. They're off on the holiday of a lifetime tomorrow and we'll be relocated by the time they return home. So this was our last hurrah whilst still residents of Brisbane and it was lovely to spend some time with them before they (and we) depart.
  • I probably sound like a broken record but I am ridiculously grateful to have such a centred and flexible kid who, whilst freely admitting he will miss his friends and to some anxiety about our move (will the kids like me?), his excitement outweighs his fears and he is really looking forward to going. I probably wouldn't have made a move like this if he was violently opposed to it and his acceptance and supportiveness has been a godsend. It was also fantastic to spend the day with one of his schoolmates and another boy who he didn't know very well - listening to them play it became obvious to me that I have raised a little diplomat who seems to smooth the ruffled feathers and be the referee in many instances! That's pretty damned cool. Even if he is mega jealous that his mate gets to go 'under Niagara Falls mum, and to Legoland and Space Mountain!'
  • I am grateful that since I've been living in my place I've accidentally become pretty organised. I've had to find a bunch of paperwork this weekend and was putting it off thinking it would be a gargantuan task yet they were exactly where I thought I MIGHT have put them if I'd been better organised.

Journal:
Saying goodbye to some friends today was hard. This is my first farewell as they are going on holidays for 5 weeks to Canada and the US (jealous!). We'll be well and truly in Toowoomba by their return, although we've arranged for a sleepover a week or two after they get back so it isn't exactly 'goodbye forever'. Our kids have become really close in the past couple of years at school and it will be hard for both of them to not see each other every day.

It was a fantastic day though, adults on the deck (despite a rainy and cold day), kids playing happily not killing each other inside, BBQ lunch, great conversation and lots of laughter. It was really nice to spend time with a friend and make a new one!

Settling down now for the night to indulge in what is fast becoming our family tradition - watching The Voice. The battle rounds begin tonight and they look electrifying. Cannot imagine the poor judges having to pick, it would be like asking which of your kids you prefer (probably why I only have one).

Random act of kindness:
We did the BYO BBQ thing today as my friend has been ensuring that nothing would be left in the house before their holiday.  We took some sausages and rissoles over and stopped off on the way to buy a loaf of bread from the bakery as I knew she wouldn't have any. And what's better than bakery bread?

Meditation:
Again I stayed up too late last night and then fell asleep within seconds so meditation or not, my mind and conscience must be clear!

So the challenge wasn't exactly a challenge today, in fact this entire weekend has been restful and lovely, probably the calm before the storm! I've been Instagram-ming up a storm and thought I'd share some with you from our weekend.

Hope you've had as lovely a weekend as we have!

xx

No comments: