Monday 23 April 2012

Live Baby Live.

So this morning was a tough one. Hard to get out of bed - it's getting darker every morning and it won't be long before I'm leaving the house in the pitch black. It's hard to remind your body that it is actually daytime when the streetlights are the only thing that let you see two feet in front of you. So the brain and body were not (and may still not be) fully functional, even less so when my bus decided to just not show, despite me being there more than 10 minutes early. I guess the bus decided it was too hard to get going this morning.

I get that.

And then my mobile network decided to go on the blink. No Words With Friends, no Facebook, no Instagram, and worst, no Pinterest! What's a girl to do?

Well I took a really novel approach - I looked out the window and watched the world go by. I checked out the passengers as they boarded the bus. I ogled the cute guy who got on at Kedron. I watched the approach of the city skyline which looks really beautiful at that time of day.  I laughed at the strange sights that only the Valley at 6:30am can produce. I cringed when I remembered I WAS one of those sights once (OK twice, alright it was 7).

And then as we were approaching our stop in the CBD I realised I had my Kindle in my bag...d'oh.

It made me realise that sometimes it's hard to remind yourself to just be present, if you know what I mean. I rarely just do nothing! I've so often got my head in a book or phone or ipad, and I generally have a continuous soundtrack going on through my headphones, even when at work, that I do sometimes forget to really look around and see things. I have lived in Brisbane for most of my life but had forgotten that first glimpse of the city skyline when you go over a certain ridge on Lutwyche Road. How excited I was to see that view when I first moved back to Brisbane when I was 25. How pretty the gardens across from the hospital are. I have a magnificent floor-to-ceiling panorama of the Brisbane River in both directions from my office window but can't remember the last time I really looked out.

I've often praised my technology for allowing me to avoid awkward conversations with strangers and I will absolutely stand by that! But perhaps, just perhaps, occasionally I need to put down my toys and enjoy the world around me. I can still filter out the bad bits, can't I?

So I'm going to look out my window now. I'll leave you with this song that I haven't heard in a while, Live Baby Live indeed. I just wish Michael Hutchence had. So HOT!

xx





No comments: