Sunday 26 August 2012

Why I'm happy to have an arrogant child.

Maybe it's a side effect of being sick but I have been really contemplative lately. Perhaps it's the blog, perhaps it's the big changes I've made in my life lately or maybe I've just had too much time on my hands but I've been doing a lot of thinking about many random things, both important and unimportant.

A few weeks back I visited Brisbane for the first time to see my friends (who, without meaning to sound too wanky, filled my soul) and whilst I loved every single minute of catching up with my nearest and dearest, I really couldn't wait to get 'home'.

It's been such a short time in the scheme of things, just a few months, but Toowoomba really IS home now and I couldn't be happier. My health has been shot to shit, my house a comedy of errors and work has been insane but ultimately I have built a really happy and fulfilling life here. 

It all came full circle this weekend when I enjoyed a visit from my dad and my stepmother as well as my stepsister and her gorgeous kids. They were here to celebrate my stepmother's best friend's son's birthday (whew, did you follow that mouthful?) who also lives in Toowoomba (yes the one they've been trying to get me to meet).

It was really exciting to show them through my cute little cottage for the first time and to see the kids playing happily in the backyard. My stepsister has gone through a bit of a tree-change herself, moving recently from the Sunshine Coast to join my dad and her mum in Tenterfield. She's loving the simpler life and quite honestly, so am I.

So last night we went to the BBQ to celebrate Dan's birthday and I was caught up in conversation with a few people about how I was finding life in Toowoomba. I really wish I'd been in great health as there was a lot of drinking and laughter and all-around good times to be had, however unfortunately I flagged and bailed pretty early in the piece due to after-effects of sickness/medication.

While I was there though, it was so nice to talk to others who'd made the 'change' to Toowoomba and haven't looked back. 

Is it rare to feel so at home so quickly in a new town? I don't know what it is but we really just hit the ground running.

People often comment that I must be enjoying discovering new places up here and I promised myself I would do that...however since we got here we've pretty much established a really 'normal' life...you know, work, pottering around the house, becoming a 'regular' at the local coffee shop, enjoying the sunshine...blah blah. Clearly not the most exciting lifestyle you could imagine, but it is absolutely perfect for us.

I realised how perfect when my father and stepmother commented on a few things E had said to them in the car on the way to lunch yesterday. Basically the little brat spent the ride there bragging his ass off about his athletic prowess, his academic excellence and basically how fabulous and unparalleled he is at, well, everything.

Now to put this in context, E's first few years at school were pretty troubled. He was picked on, was considered anti-social and weird and had lots of social issues. I have worked pretty hard with him over the years to try to build his self-esteem and knew we'd made enormous headway. But it wasn't until dad told me the only ego issues he had these days were...well...a degree of ARROGANCE that I realised how far we'd come!

And it is so true. It has happened so gradually that I didn't really see it coming but standing before me now is a self-confident, assured young man who can laugh at himself, isn't mean or a bully and still dances to the beat of his own drum and doesn't give a rats what anyone says about it. What a win. My awesome little weirdo.

It makes my heart proud. Just effing fabulous. And what a contrast to the withdrawn, sad little man he was just a few years ago.

I always think that building self-esteem is the most important gift you can give your child. I had none as a kid and never want fear and uncertainty to hold E back the way it held me back. If a kid is strong and confident, then hopefully it will give him the backbone to hold his head high and make the right choices as a teenager.

Here's hoping...

xx


No comments: