Saturday 11 August 2012

(Bris) Vegas...part 3. The aftermath.

Pretty sure none of these beverages are recommended
in Skinny Bitch (see left)
How is it that eight girls can make such an unholy mess? I love awesome nights but the aftermath can be brutal so I'm bloody glad I got a good night's sleep and awoke sans hangover (small mercies).


Sadly for me, E woke up coughing up a lung and with bright pink spots on his cheeks so I knew my time in Vegas was numbered. F*#king Ekka flu. This meant I had to forego our planned shopping trip AND visit to a mate of his and his mum which was really unfortunate but what do you do?

We'd offered to give Cathy's teenager a lift to his mate's place for band practice (oh now doesn't that phrase bring back memories?) but somehow he'd managed to go AWOL so time was to be a-wasted.


After a patented half-assed cleanup patrol (ie. bring everything in from the deck and dump in kitchen to 'think about tomorrow'), Cathy and I armed ourselves with an industrial sized icy Diet Coke (or 6) apiece to continue our marathon gossip whilst waiting vainly for # 1 teenage son to materialise.

I was then fortunate to witness one of the most humorous telephone conversations I've ever heard between said missing teenager and mum which included the iconic phrase 'look in the mirror and tell me what a moron looks like'.

Priceless.

Which brings me to the question: what do you do when you realise that you're raising a male version of yourself? Cathy was enraged at Sev pretty much doing the EXACT same thing we used to do and trying to lie his way out of it in the self-same fashion that I remember Miss Housewife herself doing back in the day. Hilarious.

Hey at least he ain't trying to pull the 'dinner and a movie' crap like we used to. Small mercies.

I am anxiously awaiting a blog post from Cathy on this self-same topic.

So, after being 'sugared up' for the road we said our goodbyes, loaded the car with guitars, amps and kids (again...oh the memories) and headed towards The Gap.

Now I have to say, there is definitely one way that Cathy's son does NOT take after her...and that's when it comes to directions. He very thoughtfully and practically gave me plenty of notice to turn including instructions such as 'there's a Brumby's and a Shell coming up and you will need to turn left at the lights after that'.

I say this referring to the day that is forever known in history as 'the day you tried to kill me' (patent pending). As 19 year olds hooning driving sedately in my enormous gold Kingswood, due to my inexperience and Cathy suddenly yelling 'turn right, turn right, turn right', I panicked and cut across three lanes only to be wiped out by a huge Landrover which then led to ME wiping out a fence, median strip and a set of lights.

Impressive.

Fortunately for us, we walked away unhurt. Unfortunately my beautiful gold beast was a casualty, with the boot literally ending up in the backseat which led to the wrecker telling me that if we'd been driving any less than my beloved beast, we probably would've been lucky to walk away.

I lost my beast, which was a dark day in history. But at least I got to keep my friend!

I related this story to a very amused E and Sev as we were driving along, of course.

Anyhoo we dropped Sev off at his mate's to jam and we headed homeward. Driving past the bushfire site (now thankfully put out) was horrifying. It had spread for kilometres in either direction and it was so sad to see the burnt and black landscape where previously it had looked like a dairy commercial. Sad.

Arriving back too late to see the doctor, E spent the rest of the day resting but sadly woke this morning with a raging fever which has only improved marginally as the day has progressed. Here's hoping for an overnight recovery for the poor guy, his cheeks are so pink he looks sunburnt and his eyes are all glassy and unfocused, it's just awful. I'm glad he got a chance to have some fun with X and Sev before this all happened.

So there's my eventful Bris Vegas weekend! Chilling today recuperating and looking at my messy house (and unpacked boxes) but you know what?

I'll think about it tomorrow.

xx



The scene of the crime.


No comments: