Thursday 16 August 2012

Blonde moments, gift cards and cars with pretensions.

What a strange, strange, funny day. It's been crazy, busy and quite insane but overall has left me with a few gems to share.

Blonde moment # 6,458:
In response to someone telling me about our work e-card last year that shot baubles out to all of our subsidiaries across the world:

Did it then blow them up?

Uh...no.

For this gem, I was rewarded with a smack on the wrist and being verbally sacked by the Marketing Coordinator. I'd report her to HR but quite honestly, I really don't quite blame her.

Gift Card Debacle
Have you ever tried to front up to Coles and request 30 gift vouchers of differing values? I'd recommend against it. More than an hour later after something went wrong and phone calls to a million other Coles and finally head office to figure out how to ensure that the cards I was taking with me were ACTUALLY loaded with funds...I was allowed to depart.

Note to self: when calculating what limit required on company credit card, ensure you don't rely on Excel autosum or else you too may end up red-faced when your card is declined on the fourth batch (aka blonde moment # 6,459). You may even also avoid the phone call from work telling you you're spending company money 'like water'.

Awesome.

Next time, order online. Problem solved.

On the plus side, I got to be quite a few people's favourite colleague today when distributing said cards and was even called a 'darling'. Quite a high point. Yes, I take it where I can get it.

Cars
When driving company car, remind yourself to put handbag on floor instead of passenger seat to avoid the #&!% constant 'ding' telling you that one of your passengers has failed to fasten their seatbelt. I don't carry THAT much crap in my handbag.

Do I?

(on second thought, don't answer that).

Also remember that you're driving said company car when searching for your vehicle in the parking lot. Just a tip.

I have also become accustomed to driving my own vehicle, which is basically a bog standard Holden with pretensions. It's called by the (somewhat wanky) moniker of 'Lacetti' and prides itself on being the 'poor man's Mercedes' (I don't care, I'd prefer the Mercedes, personally) and whilst European appliances may be all the go in one's kitchen, the backwards nature of the car when it comes to everything being on opposite sides of the car is all well and good, until you drive an Aussie vehicle sans pretensions and end up using the windscreen wipers in lieu of the indicator on a perfectly sunny and beautiful day.

Free Chocolate Friday
So last week my cubicle-mate in charge of chocolate Friday was away and you'd think the world had ended. I had a visit from a rather eager colleague who raced up the stairs very excitedly carrying his bowl, skidding to a halt in front of Fi's (empty) desk with a confused look on his face. When it was explained to him that she was away and Free Chocolate Friday was cancelled, the devastation was complete. The poor fellow slunk away dejectedly looking like I'd just kicked his puppy.

So as Fi is also away for the next few weeks, this same fellow added it to the agenda of their weekly team meeting to ensure this travesty could never recur.

The upshot is I am now (Acting) Free Chocolate Friday girl for the interim, which earned me some odd looks in Woolies this afternoon on my way home. But will again make me Miss Congeniality at work tomorrow so I'll count that as a win.

Hoping your Thursday is awesome!

xx




No comments: