Thursday 16 August 2012

Cathy's 50s Housewife Friday...did you say Diet Coke cupcakes????

Happy 50s Housewife Friday!!

So excited that I really don't have anything to prepare for today after a very social couple of weeks! ahhh relaxing on the deck in the sun with my Friday Who magazine....streeeetch....

Will eventually have to get up as I have promised the boys some choc chip cookies...oh...and I have something for you.....

Had a fabulous night last Friday night with my GGs and as I said I was debuting my very own Betty Detox brand Diet Coke cupcakes (patent pending). They were, of course, a huge hit with my posse so, as promised, I will be sharing my recipe with y'all to try it for yourselves.

Hope u enjoy!

Betty Detox's Diet Coke Cupcakes w Cream Cheese Frosting
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup good cocoa
1/2 cup raw castor sugar (or regular, whichever you prefer)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup of delicious and refreshing Diet Coke
1 egg white (helps to bind)

* usually you would also add 1/2 tsp of vanilla but the one time I accidentally picked up a can of Diet Coke w vanilla and took a swig whilst driving, I spat it all over the windshield of my pink VW beetle and nearly had an accident so I chose not to add it....

(this recpie can be a little tricky so if too runny, carefully sift in more flour until correct consistency)


  • Preheat oven to 180c
  • Sift all dry ingredients into mixing bowl
  • Make a small well in the middle and add egg white and Diet Coke
  • Beat on low speed until mixed (approx. 30 secs)
  • Beat on high speed for another 2 mins
  • Spoon into cupcake pans evenly
  • Bake for 15-18 mins

This is a low fat recipe as it doesn't contain the egg yolks, butter and milk used in ordinary cupcakes, so if u like, quit here  and sift some icing sugar over the top for a low cal treat...

But, if ur like me and constantly throw caution to the wind, then you'll continue on with me as we make my favourite high calorie Cream Cheese Frosting....mmmmm.....fattening!

1 package of Cream Cheese (250g I think)
2-3 cups of icing sugar
1 1/2 tsp milk

Whip it up with ur beaters and heap on top of cooled cupcakes.

I sincerely hope u enjoy this as much as we did, it's a lovely chocolately cake with a hint of subtle cola and quite frankly, I was pretty fucken pleased with myself so....go forth and bake!!!

Would love to hear what you think....

First track of the day:

Ratcat - That Ain't Bad

Don't make me tell you my Ratcat schoolies week story or my Simon Day in Sydney story...one day my pets, one day....

Happy Friday Kids!

Cathy xoxoxoxoxo




Cathy wears many hats. Wife, mother of two sons, CEO of Little Monsters Pty Ltd and Cake Pop Queen just to name a few. She subscribes to the theory that Cathiness is next to Godliness. And on Fridays she behaves like a 50s housewife by sedating herself and cooking, baking and ironing, and being nice to her husband. Any other day is a crapshoot.

1 comment:

jeffro said...

Love ur style Babe :)