Tuesday 2 October 2012

Love the ones you love.

What a bittersweet day.

On one hand, I got to hang today with some of the coolest, most beautiful gals and best friends a girl could ever imagine.

On the other, we were gathered to support our friend at the funeral of her father, a truly inspirational and amazing character whose legacy lives on through his children and grandchildren. A life truly well lived.

One day I hope you can read all about this simply spectacular individual. As one attendee today said, 'I feel really honoured to have been allowed to be here today'.

Well said.

The service was beautiful and I choked back tears throughout. I lost it, however, when I watched his two sons carry him out at the end.

What was amazing to me, was sitting with a fellow friend who was there in support of our mate but hadn't really gotten to know her dad, and throughout the service she said several things to me to the tune of 'OMG, THAT'S where she gets it from' and 'she's really like her dad, isn't she?' and the like. She is quite religious and shook her head at one stage, marvelling, 'it's true when they say you never really die', meaning that his children have inherited so many of his traits (good, bad and badder haha) that he will live on, regardless.

It's a wonderful and heartwarming thought.

Spending time with my favourite girls today once again filled my heart, despite sitting here with tears in my eyes regarding the circumstances. It is a shame that bad news is sometimes the only time we are drawn together with our loved ones, however I do think that any time with your loved ones is time to be treasured. Toasting this amazing man with a glass of champagne after the service was quite fitting, seeing as we probably sneaked enough booze off him as teenagers (ugh...oopss....)

Driving several hours today gave me a lot of time to think and I think I'm becoming (perhaps too much) sentimental in my old age. I'm not that much of a crier but it sometimes takes a tragedy to reflect and make you love those you love just a little bit more.

Having lost my own mum as a teenager, it's a lesson I learned early but life gets in the way sometimes and sometimes you need that jolt to remember to really love the ones you love.

Sappy I know. I said perhaps too much sentimental...

So there's my thoughts for the day. Make sure you love the ones you love today.

xx


1 comment:

Betty Detox said...

Only just saw this Bec, thanks so much for being there with me....3 weeks ago today. Couldn't have got through it all without my girls xoxo love u all so much x