Thursday 25 October 2012

Seeing red...

Over the years my hair has evolved through a reasonably extensive representation of the colours of the rainbow, thanks to a good hairdresser friend, some personal experimentation* (*varying results. Don't ask about the green hair) not to mention a truckload of cash to various styling institutions.

Yes I am a devoted worshipper at the altar of GHD. So sue me.

Naturally fair to mouse, I've run the gamut of chocolate brown, dark burgundy (with caramel highlights, so pretty) through to bleached blonde and various shades in between. Not to mention my phase of fluoro colours (ie. pink/orange) as underneath highlights. I'm sure there's a correct hairdressing term for it but you get the picture. Not that I was desperately trying to hang onto my youth or anything by my sad, bitten little fingernails or anything.

Of course not.

So when I realised the other day I've been a blonde for more than 5 years straight, I realised measures must be taken.

But what?

Now I really like myself as a brunette, but unfortunately no-one else does (thank you Cathy for your 'too long and too dark comment of yesteryear that prompted the blonde change...best decision I ever made).  I think that rule probably applies for most stark colours for any woman of my (ahem) advancing years and pale features.

I personally would love to go pale pink but have a sneaking suspicion I'd just look like some sad old cat lady who's trying a bit too hard.

Totally makes me want lash extensions man...


Then I remembered Halloween a few years back. OK, I know what you're thinking, any inspiration based on a HALLOWEEN costume can't end well. But wait...

 So I dressed as Magenta from Rocky Horror, which took three cans of red hairspray and a rather impressive set of false lashes. No animals were harmed in the making of this costume, although I can't say the same for several towels, a few tiles, a bathmat and a pillowcase.

Or you know, the ozone layer.


Blonde me

I got so many comments though on how the hair suited me and that I should really go va-va-vroom red.

Now I'm not brave enough to do the full-on red (see comments above, mutton dressed as lamb etc) but the days AFTER is where I'm getting my inspiration.

Ever rinsed copious quantities of red hairspray out of newly blonded hair?

Well FYI, it doesn't come out all in one go. For a day you're a lovely shade of strawberry blonde and for a week or two you get the odd question of 'is that pink in your hair?' before finally going back to blonde.


So I'm taking my inspiration from the strawberry blonde part and am taking the plunge this weekend. I'll post pics so you can tell me the verdict. That's provided I don't end up looking like Ronald McDonald of course. In which case, I'll probably still post pics just so you can all poke fun offer me some much-needed advice on how to fix it without just dying the whole thing black.

Wish me (and my bathroom tiles) the best of luck.

xx




No comments: