Sunday 7 October 2012

#FirstWorldProblems

So you want to see what an effective ad looks like?

Check this out.

Watching poverty-stricken Haitans read out such Twitter nonsense as:

'I hate it when my house is so big, that I need two wireless routers'

whilst standing in front of a mud hut about the size of my bathroom that honestly looks like it's being held together on faith and a bit of string...

Powerful stuff.

#FirstWorldProblems is a tag given to those apparently 'tongue-in-cheek' rants about issues we have in our lives that we understand really are trivial in today's Twitter-verse.

Unfortunately I think sometimes the Twits tweets actually forget the irony bit.

Look we all do it, I plead guilty. Just the other day I'm ranting on about my favourite mascara being discontinued so I'm certainly no innocent here. I can carry on about coffee guy (CAPPUCCINO!!! NOT LATTE!!!!) and same hair girl(EVERY.DAMN. DAY) forever and never get bored. I can (and sadly do) discuss pop culture and celebs like they're my neighbours and quote lyrics to describe my mood.

Our lives are totally overrun with all these myriad trivialities and sometimes it's really easy to let them overtake our lives.

Until something like this ad gives us a rude reality check.

And a well-needed one.

I woke up this morning with sore arms after mowing my first lawn yesterday in 3 and a half years, and was going to post a rant on how for the first time ever, I miss unit living (no lawns! no stinkin gardens to maintain!).

I was also narked that my iphone changed itself to Sydney time for some reason and I had to reset it.

And then...

Perspective.

So I mowed a lawn. Whoop-de-friggen-do. Yes, I was hot, dirty and tired. So I went inside my clean HOUSE to drink some clean drinking WATER and then had a SHOWER to freshen up and then got into some clean clothes, of which I had plenty in my wardrobe. Although most are a few seasons old...oops there I go again...

Oh poor me.

So Monday reality check, all. Back to earth with a giant bump.

So I'm off now to try to work out why my stinkin iphone playlist seems to play the same songs all the freaking time and not the ones I want today.

xx






No comments: