Friday 16 March 2012

TGIF just doesn't seem to cover it

When I was younger I anxiously awaited Fridays and the further into the afternoon it got, the more revved up I became about the night ahead.

You know you're getting older when Fridays become more about crawling towards an imaginary finish line so you can race the hell out of work to get home to your son and catch up on your re-reading of the Hunger Games trilogy. And you actually look forward to it (and OMG that movie looks FABULOUS).

This week has been tougher than most, likely due to my ever-increasing love of the snooze button which has left me with approximately 10 minutes or less to make myself presentable enough for people not to run away screaming and haul it to the bus stop. Even amusing myself by guessing if yellow scarf girl would actually change her tune on any given day didn't cut it (she didn't. Every. Damn. Day.) It's taken about 3 cups of coffee just to wake up this week (fortunately Miss I-Only-Stamp-Once has been noticeably absent the past few days so no homocide has been necessary - unless that's the reason for her absence???).

So I am happier than normal for Friday evening to roll around. The whole weekend stretching ahead with some awesome plans to visit an old, old friend that I haven't seen since I left Cairns in 1997. I am really looking forward to introducing my son to her and meeting her baby boy for the first time.  Hoping I'll also have the chance to catch up with a few others who I've been sadly neglecting lately. Sometimes life just goes a little crazy and suddenly a month or two goes by and you realise you've not been in touch with the people you really care about.

Make sure you read my friend Cathy's post on the horror of finding rental properties in Brisbane these days. Personally I've gone through this hell more than once and it really is ridiculous when those of us who earn a reasonable income suddenly can't seem to afford to live in our own city anymore.

To introduce Cathy - I first saw this girl with a flat top (!) in my French class in Grade 9. She made an immediate impression, let's just say she was no wallflower! In Grade 10 I was transferred to her class and to wax lyrical (thank you Michael for the apt term), a lifelong friendship was born. I'd say we both led each other astray and it's just a wonder that we didn't get into more trouble than we did! And now more than 20 years later she's still the funniest, warmest and most awesome person I've ever met. Hopefully we'll be trading insults and dirty jokes from our wheelchairs in another 40 years. So lucky to have a friend like you in my life xxx


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your work...

Anonymous said...

I would say I led you more astray....hehehe

Unknown said...

Of that I have no doubt, I was trying to be polite :)