Friday 16 March 2012

Cathy's rant of the day

Please, pass the valium before I go postal on somebodys arse.....sorry...its just, i am currently searching for a house in what seems to have become a suddenly outrageous and competitve Innercity Brisbane rental market and I have reached breaking point..

Now, I am a Brissy gal, born and bred and have been renting Innercity since 1995 and I have always lived in awesome pads in great locations for piss all rent, but for the first time I am struggling to find something for us thats under $650 a week!! I mean, geeez, thats a lot right!? And even the expensive ones are, to quote my 8 yr old son "complete crap holes", yet still have 600 people rushing to fill in applications, even though you need a degree in astro physics just to get through PART A of your national security clearance and ASIO identification check.

My first Innercity place when I was 21 cost $165 a week and all the references I needed was that I had $100 bond, a tv that worked and my own bong. It was right in the heart of the action of Paddo and was noisy, dirty and awesome!

Although, thinking about it, I shared that house with 3 smelly skaterboys and slept in a small sleepout which I had somehow managed to squeeze my queen size waterbed into (try lugging one of them from share house to share house, it's not easy....but cool) that had a curtain as a door. It was just me, my bed, my clothes and my dreams. Not too difficult to house I guess.

Don't get me reminiscing of the first place that my all mine...my Red Hill granny flat in 1998 that was a two bedroom home with a huge deck that overlooked an innercity rain forest. It was my Punk Rock Single Mother Paradise. Just me and my adorable 1 yr old son, Seven, oh and a deck full of girls, smoking cigarettes, drinking red wine and giving me my Girl Power, all for $155 a week including utilities. We lived there for 3yrs and the rent never increased!

Hmmmmm...reading back on this I guess 17 yrs have passed since that first place and I have aquired alot of stuff to be housed since then: one husband, 2 children, 1 siberian husky, 2 cats, 3 cars (one a hot pink 1973 beetle that needs a garage) huge furniture and lots of other crazy crap. Alot to house.....

So as I sit here waiting to hear if we beat out all the other applicants for the 4 bed, 2 bath, fenced for the dog, with a pool and a built in playground in the leafy backyard, opposite the park in a safe, quiet street in Bardon near my sons school, I wonder if the Innercity rental market really has changed...or doh!...is it me???

I blame the children.


Cathy xx


Cathy wears many hats. Wife, mother of two sons, CEO of Little Monsters Pty Ltd and Cake Pop Queen just to name a few. She subscribes to the theory that Cathiness is next to Godliness. And on Fridays she behaves like a 50s housewife by sedating herself and cooking, baking and ironing, and being nice to her husband. Any other day is a crapshoot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do u comment on this thing....am such a noob...oh.woops.

Jeff said...

Days gone by, dearly missed, not forgotten....

Made us what we are today!

Anonymous said...

Very dearly missed my friend....that house made us the friends we are today definately!!! Oh and u were very clean and unsmelly. cathx

Anonymous said...

samaoakaianag ias baad faoar yaoau

Betty detox said...

Yes, smoking is bad for u!! But when ur 21, who cares about such things?