Sunday 20 January 2013

Bizarre Monday's and bad hair days. And outsourcing.

Happy Monday all!!!

What a weird day. I've had the funniest and most bizarre morning in the history of working as an assistant, and I'm so sad that I really can't tell you about it or else I'll probably get fired!

Suffice it to say, in future when a rather forgetful someone from my work texts me late Sunday to drop by their house to collect something for work because they're not coming in...I'll be sure to call ahead. Enough said (no I didn't catch them naked and/or in a compromising position) No really, enough said.

One day, when I'm retired from the assistant biz,  I'm gonna write a book about being an assistant and I can guarantee it will be a gut-buster and a bestseller. I think I've previously mentioned about helping my boss unload his rifles, yeah? Well it only gets better. My book will probably be the antithesis to The Devil Wears Prada though, as through some excellent selection processes on my part, I've been fortunate to not have had a boss from hell (at least never for long), however I have been known to attract some seriously...um...eccentric...characters in my time.

I wonder what that says about me?

I love my job though and it is the variety that keeps it interesting.

So #firstworldproblem of the day: I may need to rethink what I put in my handbag seeing as when driving one of the company vehicles earlier today, the car kept demanding that I put the seatbelt on my 'passenger'. Oh dear. It would make an excellent set of my own version of brass knuckles, however, should anyone ever decide that I'm a prime mugging suspect.

Look out.

Now onto something that I simply cannot NOT comment on, because, let's face it, every single human being on the planet is going, 'crap, I wish I'd thought about it first'.

So a highly paid software developer has been busted for outsourcing his own job to China at a fraction of his salary...FOR YEARS.

Quote of the day:

'Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building'
Brilliant.
I would have been more impressed if he'd someone managed to wangle a work-from-home arrangement as quite frankly, his daily schedule seems mind-numbingly boring but otherwise...hat's off fella.

See the hilarious story here http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/software-developer-busted-for-outsourcing-own-job-to-china/story-e6frfm9r-1226556262107

Sorry, for some reason my 'links' button, nor my 'open brackets' key on my keyboard appear to be working today so a full copy/paste jobbie is in order instead.

Sadly for me, I haven't managed to sublet my own job yet, and despite my current boss' eccentricities, I do believe he may work out sooner rather than later should he wind up dictating to an entirely different person at some stage. Maybe.

So I have to say that despite the 'interesting' morning I've had today it's been really, really hard to get going today. I didn't sleep very well for no reason whatsoever, I spilled breakfast AND coffee down my white shirt before even making it to work - hence a reason why I wear white like about once a year - and I'm having a bad hair day.

I tried this new shampoo and conditioner, some Nioxin stuff I got on special at Hairhouse Warehouse, which is super expensive usually and supposed to be like this miracle stuff that will sprout me Miranda Kerr hair in no time - as long as it gives me the face, body and husband as well, then a worthwhile investment - but sadly my initial report is even whilst blowdrying my hair felt really sticky and just yuck. I've been reading today on the internet - a completely productive use of my time - that you need to shampoo for 60 seconds minimum so I'm thinking maybe I didn't do it for long enough so I'll give it another go. I've yanked it into a dodgy ponytail today just so hopefully people don't notice that I look pretty darn crappy.

Speaking of not looking crappy, and I'll be writing a whole post on this sometime this week, but I'm staring down the barrel of my 40th birthday - September - and watching my friends succumb to the curse one by one. I think it's forcing the mid-life crisis and one of those things in the firing line is my skin. For years I had wonderful skin however when hitting my early 30s, my skin decided to rebel and I developed adult acne. Horrible, embarrassing and just ugh.

So anyhoo, long story short, I went and got myself cheese grated - aka microdermabrasian - the other day and have signed up for a course of them along with some 'cell renewal' stuff that will have my skin looking better than it has in a decade, or so I've been promised. I may or may not post some pictures, I'm horribly self conscious about my skin so like to avoid pictures that highlight it.

So there's my Monday. I'm missing my E who is still with his grandparents....boo. He's back Wednesday just in time to start high school next week...egads...

Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

Bec xx

No comments: