Thursday 23 May 2013

My second favourite F word...black news days and Dexys Midnight Runners.

So yesterday was a terribly 'black' news day. The horrific 'hacking to death' (could there be a more descriptively awful and evocative phrase in the English language?) of British soldier Drummer Rigby in broad daylight whilst the sick perpetrators actually encouraged people to film them is just beyond words.

Follow this with the backlash retaliation by some half-wit extremist groups (read: ignorant fuckers) against Islamic communities in the UK, despite the fact that it turns out that one of the sick fucks involved in this was a convert to sermons conducted by a Sheikh who was actually BANNED by Islam.

I am just sickened and completely without words.

Some wonder why I tend to 'skate' on the lighter side of life, particularly on my blog, tending to ignore some of the more appalling world news events in favour of something entirely self-centred and generally focused on my hair or something of that order.

The main reason is that I have a ridiculously overactive imagination and a very well developed ability to obsess over bad things to the point where I can literally see it in my head, not to mention my nightmares. I will cry over it, rage at it, dwell on it and visualise it until I collapse in a messy heap. I'm not a good horror movie person, let's put it that way.

And this is the worst kind of horror - there is now a little boy in England who will grow up without his daddy simply because his father happened to be leaving his barracks at the most inopportune time while some whacked out homocidal maniacs happened to use him as a poster child for their sick agenda.

It seriously makes me cry for humanity (what humanity?) and for the future of our global society.

See what I mean, this is why I stick to preferred mascara choices, I am sitting here almost in tears of frustration, anger and sorrow for this tragic event and this young man's life cut tragically short. Every time I close my eyes I see that bloodied image of the man holding the meat cleaver and basically PROUD of himself for taking another human being's life.

It makes me want to vomit.

So I was searching for something to lighten my spirits yesterday and there was pretty much nothing. Tragic event after tragic event, something nonsensical about your 11 most hated commuter traits, Ford factories in Australia closing with a couple thousand jobs to go...

Like I said, a black news day. One of the very blackest.

So it was with a bit of a sigh of relief to wake up this morning to find that whilst there is obviously more coverage and detail on recent horrific events, that something similar had not occurred while I was sleeping.

And then to realise today is my 'one year' birthday at my new workplace and I am anticipating a lovely lunch with my boss and a few of my favourite colleagues. I'm also having a great hair day, which changes everything.

And then to 'random shuffle' my ipod to have this catchy oldie pop up as first song of the day:


Come on, you know you're humming along.

Plus next weekend I am going to a black tie masquerade ball which I am seriously looking forward to, nothing like getting costumed up and I have scored myself a seriously cool mask...pics to follow!

And I've acquired some serious fire-building skills in the past few days, thanks to winter suddenly hitting with a vengeance (coupled with the most frightening power bill EVER last winter).

So things are looking up. Fingers crossed for news to follow.

Bec xx

No comments: