Friday 1 February 2013

Cathy's 50s Housewife Friday...back in the game.

Hello my 50's Housewife Friday Friends! Long time no see!

Yes, the Housewife has returned from hiatus! Miss me?

Why have I been too lazy to write you ask? What have I been doing that was so damned important?

Well, I've been slightly occupied lately with of a house full of holidaying children and their friends, our first ever family beach camping trip during the QLD record breaking heat wave and unprecedented deadly stingers attack, whilst fires were burning down the place threatening the doorsteps of houses only kilometers away, and THEN coming home to prepare for my sons 9th Annual Australia Day Birthday Party during tornados, cyclones and a city under water for the 2nd time in two years.

Aaaaah Queensland! Perfect one day, a frightening Shitstorm the next :)

Well, we survived, barely......the smell of mud is once again in the air.....

Would you like some advice on how to throw a successful children's outdoor BBQ for 50 while BrisVegas becomes BrisVenice, whilst making 7,000 lamington cake pops, without having a nervous breakdown?

I start with a large glass of ice and a bottle of Frangelico........

can't really recall the rest but do have hazy memories of running around in the rain with an Australia Day Umbrella Hat on my head..........hmmmmmm. Forget that last part.

Xavier had his "best birthday ever" though so it seems it all went well.

Seriously though, my heart goes out to everyone affected, or re-affected by the floods this week, especially the people and animals of Bundy. Hope the recovery is a swift one!!

First track of the day for all of you Brisbanites that were without power this week:

Start Me Up - Rolling Stones


This weeks plea to Energex....Hehehehehe

But, we had a seriously great time camping with some of our oldest and bestest buds. I was a little hesitant about how it would be as its been a while, and the bunch of friends that we went with even admitted that they were secretly expecting a last minute cancellation on my behalf, that I would just send the boys,until they saw me actually arrive in the flesh......

Apparently I am known as a bit of a princess amongst our circle and they were surprised to hear of my extensive hard yakka history of grueling Girls Grammar Camps.

Hey, scoff if u will, nonbelievers, but u haven't roughed it til uv done BGGS grade 10 camp.

U hike up mountains for 15km a day carrying a massive pack, u eat out of cans, u pitch ur own tent, u poo in a hole in the ground. It's grueling, believe me. Also, the demented couple who ran our school camps outed me as some sort of smart ass ( I know!!! Me!!?? Outrageous!!) and made me carry the shit shovel the whole way!

I rode horses and canoed for hrs down rapids.

I ain't no princess mo fos!!

But I did burn and freckle :(

So this will now be an annual event for us. We have also had a handful of mates insist on joining us next year so it's probably only gonna get better! The biggest surprise and bonus for me was to watch my two boys enjoying the beautiful Noosa national parks and beaches without once missing their computers and playstations and tv. It doesn't get any better than that :)

My boys rock!

On that note, I do intend to make a few changes for next year to turn the camping into Betty Detox approved 'Glamping'..

I found these awesome tents online that are like Hawkeye and Hunnicutts tent on M.A.S.H. They are really roomy and come with tea light candle chandeliers!!!

How rad is that??? And they come in all colours inc pink and lavender, will prob just get canvas colored or else the boys might mutiny me on that one but......

Also, battery powered fans!!' it was soo friggen hot man!!! Fans are a must - found some online, ahhhh yeeah!

And camping mattresses. The blow up was just not doing it for me so special padded camping mattresses will be on the list.

2nd track of the day:

Ring of Fire : Johnny Cash



We weren't allowed to actually have a fire, but if we could've, we would've.

Back to reality thought this week and back to school, so housewife duties are calling me...

Today:

I am baking a chocolate marshmallow slice for the boys afternoon tea, which I have never tackled before. Should be unhealthily fantastico! Am on a fitness kick and am back at the gym so I can be fabulous and 40 at the end of March(!!!!!!!) but since I am only a 50's housewife once a week that guilty little voice in my head can shut the fuck up :) oh, and marshmallows are fat free so that really balances out don't you think?

Will post a photo and a recipe once I'm done!

Last track of the day for my 50's Housewife Friday Amigos?

The Lady Don't Mind - Talking Heads.



Don't ask me why, just got it stuck in my head.

Have a great week guys, I promise I won't stay away so long next time x missed u x

Cath xx









Cathy wears many hats. Wife, mother of two sons, CEO of Little Monsters Pty Ltd and Cake Pop Queen just to name a few. She subscribes to the theory that Cathiness is next to Godliness. And on Fridays she behaves like a 50s housewife by sedating herself and cooking, baking and ironing, and being nice to her husband. Any other day is a crapshoot.




No comments: